I just got my CDL!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by AhBee01, Dec 9, 2009.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Class B with school bus and passenger endorsements! I'm so excited. I have never done anything this hard before! It was a lot to learn in such a short time!
    25 hrs and 8 min.!! I took the test last Tue. and was certified On Friday! I am doing the route training now, and should be subbing by the first of the year!
    I hope to get a regular route, but I know, I could be subbing for a few good years, but one can hope!
    It will be hard going back to work, and so early, but I never wanted a job more in my life! We need the benefits I will get when I get a contract! Plus we need me to make a few bucks, it will help out, now that my husband lost his job with Chrysler! He started his carpet cleaning business back up. It has been slow but people are happy he is back! He brought home a salon chair to clean last night, the lady said she wasn't counting on it coming clean, he got the blue jean dye out and most of the hair dye. The chairs are beautiful, so I was hoping they would come clean. The lady will be pleasantly surprised!
    Life is slowly falling back into place. We just want to keep what we have, God Please help us to do just that.
    I'm so glad that the bus driver tests are over, I was oh so crabby. Now maybe I can get the house clean, back to normal and get some christmas shopping, and decorating, and some baking done between routes! At least this part of training we get paid to do it! Yeah! A little extra money! (ok, there is never extra money, but you know what I mean! LOL!)
    Thanks for letting me brag a little, I'm so proud of myself, I needed this confidence boost!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Congrats!! I did that about 9 years ago and would've had my own route but my son who was 9 months at the time started having seizures and I had to quit. How exciting for you to have a new path to go down. Good luck to you!

3. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Thanks, I'm sorry your son got sick, I hope he is better.
    I just read the other post about the buses and the accidents, that is the very thing that scares me the most about this job. I pray Jesus will be my co pilot!

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Congrats on the CDL! Hope you like the new job.

5. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    Congrats on the new CDL. I got my class A in 1974 they just renewed it until 2014. I think I will probably drop it after that 40 years is enough. It has always been a great thing to fall back on and has been a large part of my ability to earn a living. Keep on truckin!

6. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    Congrats!!!

Hang in there till you get a good group of kids... Cause they will scent
    'newbie" a mile away and test you... Keep a good sense of humor!

I don't know if they told you this... But when you get behind the wheel take a deep breath, leave every thing else behind.... You are now in "bus world" the place where safety comes first! No matter what take you're time and don't lose your temper.

You need help... holler! there are a handful of drivers here....

7. kit1470

kit1470 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    good for you! - I drove a regular run for 2 1/2 yrs and than switched to subbing this is my 5th year driving - I actually like subbing better - it works for my schedule, the kids are better behaved (usually) and I get to see all the different areas in our school district - that was how I found the BEST christmas tree farm ever to get our tree from.

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    That's great!

9. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    I love driving school bus, been doing it for 10 yrs now... BUT I have great kids, they do try to test you, be aware.... my new late bus kids tried, and it didn't work. I have a sign in my bus that says "Captain Kerner' I kinda took to heart that i was the captain of my ship...lol good luck...[​IMG] and congrats [​IMG]
    i just bought elf hats for all of them for the last day of school B4 the holiday...
    Melinda [​IMG]

10. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Great job! I know it can be hard! My DH has a CDL A and it is not as easy to pass those tests as people think! Esspecially the driving test, they are so picky. Here you have to 'double clutch' and DH had never even heard of it before. You had to clutch when you shift out of the gear, and then release and clutch again to shift back into the next gear. Stupid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by