I just need to vent a little

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I watch my best friend's daughter everyday after school, and she only seems to listen 50% of the time to me. She loves my chickens and is always out with them. I'm always reminding her they are not dogs and don't be so rough with them (she's 10 almost 11). I had them all in the coop yesterday, and let her give them treats. I went out and got an egg she told me was in the nest box. Then she continued to pet my broody hen while I was gone.

She was outside with them until her mom came to get her, then she was gone.

Well I got out to feed everyone this morning.... she left the nesting box open all night! I was so mad!!! Anything could have just gotten in and gotten them. Stray cats in the neighborhood sit on the coop roof at time trying to find a way in, and she gave them a freebie last night!!!!

I did a head count and everyone was there. Yet, my broody was exposed to freezing temps and winds last night all night with no roof over her head. She was still on the eggs this morning though, I just hope it wasn't too much for the eggs with the chilly temps.

I emailed her mom with the situation... but I doubt her mom will care, she doesn't give a hoot about any animal. If they were gone, she would have just said... that's nature, something would have gotten them one way or another.

I'm still steamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I wouldn't let her visit with the chickens for a bit. If that is possible. Irregardless of how mom feels the child is at your house and needs to learn that their are consequences for her actions. I am sure the mother would understand that her daughter was irresponsible and that is not acceptable. I hope your broody is OK. Give her a nice warm treat.
smile.png

I don't blame you one bit!

Sounds like you will just have to keep her away from the birds, or make sure everything is in order after she leaves.

The mother prolly wont care, most people just look at them as disposable animals "it's just a chicken"....I hate those people.....I do have friends like that and they really make me angry.

God forgive me....but my one best friend that has that thinking had to put her dog down, and I actually said to her "it's just a dog"....cos she said the same thing to me when I lost my fave house roo.....I was devastated that she would say that to me!

I'm glad your birds didn't have any visitors in the night and they are all ok!

Whats really something is I have a padlock on the coop door, and on the run door.... didn't even occur to me the nesting box.

I'm going to tell my husband about it today, she's coming over here to trick or treat with us tonight since we take her a lot to help her family out. Maybe I'll let hubby take care of it... he built the coop, he's all about protecting the birds, and she doesn't listen to me at all I tell ya... she's got the cocky preteen attitude where whatever you say doesn't have to do with her. I do think she fears my husband some, so maybe he can really scare some responsibilities into her!

I'm evil...I would set up a fake chicken death scene and walk her out there and show her what her irresponsibility had caused......
somad.gif

If I did that to my daughter, she is the same age....she would bawl her eyes out and apologize.

Seems the best way to teach a child is to show them what can happen. They don't understand things unless they see it for themselves.

Am I wrong?

I have a couple of grandsons that same age. They like to go out and feed the chickens weeds and grass through the fence. They know they aren't supposed to go in the pens, but I know they're 8 and 10 years old and don't always listen or even if they listen they don't always do what they're supposed to. My solution is that I always go out and check on what they're up to and when they go home I always check to make sure the gates are closed.....just in case they didn't listen to Grandma!

Today when you have her after school take her out and explain to her what could have happened since she left the door open......and then check when she goes home to make sure it's shut.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom