I just read that ducks and chickens cross mate???

J99

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
Im aware google isn’t the answer to everything , however sometimes it helps and my duck was biting my other ducks neck and climbing on top of him they are about 20 weeks old so I was looking oking up facts , since I’m new at this ( when do ducks first lay eggs, when do ducks mate, etc) and found an article that said drakes may mate with chickens , and my Rooster could mate with my duck?? I’ve never heard this before , so how do people keep them together so often?

May and could are important words. Just because something might possibly happen does not mean that it normally does. It also does not mean any harm is usually caused if it does happen.

I doubt that article said they create hybrids. What I think it was referring to is that males may try to go through the mating act across species, especially hormone-crazed adolescents. That's not about sex, that's about dominance.

So how do people keep them together so often? It normally isn't an issue and damage is generally not done if it does.

Ok so first off when the ducks are mounting and biting necks they are mating. Sometimes, and actually often, the girls with mount each other which can be confusing. They are very sexual little things.

They can start laying at about 4 months I believe but my Indian runners didn't until they were about 7 months old.

Chickens can be killed by a drake mating with them because they aren't built like ducks on the inside. However, apparently, roosters aren't built like drakes either and don't have that same equipment so they can't hurt a female duck. So, keep the drakes away from your chickens but the girl ducks are fine with them.

Ok they didn’t mate but this is the first sign I’ve ever seen and two what I know now are drakes were both biting the back of a head of a duck and one drake bobbed his head up and down for awhile then got on her back but only for a second they are 18/20 weeks old now and I’ve not ever seen an egg
I also read mating season isn’t until March

Ok they didn’t mate but this is the first sign I’ve ever seen and two what I know now are drakes were both biting the back of a head of a duck and one drake bobbed his head up and down for awhile then got on her back but only for a second they are 18/20 weeks old now and I’ve not ever seen an egg
I also read mating season isn’t until March
Well two Drakes after one Hen isn't good..

Yeah I thought that myself but I don’t know what to do about it , I have two drakes and two ducks and they’ve all been together since birth , I hate to separate them

not a good idea, my friend had a chicken flock and a duck flock and drake thought it would be a good Idea as had access to the chicks he brooded with until she found him some duck hens of his own of the same breed. fast forward to hormones kicking in she had to cull her hen as the drake had forced him self on her and there was no way she could make it. Even though friend caught him and got him away from the hen right as he started.

Roosters and Drakes are 2 different things where a drake actually has a penis and a rooster doesn't it's more of just best way I can explain rubbing up on the hen for the rooster.

Ok so first off when the ducks are mounting and biting necks they are mating. Sometimes, and actually often, the girls with mount each other which can be confusing. They are very sexual little things.

They can start laying at about 4 months I believe but my Indian runners didn't until they were about 7 months old.

Chickens can be killed by a drake mating with them because they aren't built like ducks on the inside. However, apparently, roosters aren't built like drakes either and don't have that same equipment so they can't hurt a female duck. So, keep the drakes away from your chickens but the girl ducks are fine with them.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom