I just realised I can tell which egg came from which chicken! :-)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nonny, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I figured out yesterday that my three all lay very different eggs so it's easy to tell who has laid what. I always assumed, before getting chooks, that the same breed would all lay the identical looking eggs - how wrong was I! LOL

Florin lays middle-sized smooth light brown eggs. Tuppence lays paler eggs that are a bit on the pointy side and usually have a few white speckles of grit or something stuck to the shell. Penny lays smaller rounder eggs, the same colour as Florin's.

My partner thinks I'm loopy - to him they all just look like eggs. [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    With only a few exceptions, I can tell you who laid each egg. (I have 18 laying right now) My 2 English Orps are the exception, their eggs look identical. All 3 of my welsummer girls lay slightly different shape/color. Same with my 2 BCM's.

It's called being a chicken nerd.

3. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    [​IMG] from Adelaide!!

I could also tell you which chickens lay which eggs. Usually the bad-tempered ones (feathers and LT) will lay small, spotty eggs that are about the size of what a robin would lay and the other two plough steadily through large eggs, remaining quiet in the background of coop activity.

Eggie's eggs will be speckled with white. She has feathers speckled with white too, so we think this might be connected.

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    It's odd but I agree. My JG lays these very glossy, small, pointy brown eggs. My Delaware lays matte, point, small eggs and my Barred Rock lays medium brown eggs, sometimes a double yolker. Of course, the other two girls are newer to laying so all may change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by