i just rescued some chickens and need some help

the beautiful light brown ones look like easter eggers to me (meaning they will lay all different color eggs from pink to lavender to blue), the striped looked like barred rock (light brown eggs) or marans (dark chocolate brown eggs) and the red looks like a rhode island red(brown eggs). They will be forever greatful to you!!! They look to be in good shapre despite the living conditons you described, I would bulk up their protein right now by scrambling eggs and feeding that to them, plus scraps of any sort, good luck and welcome to BYC!

thanks guys. i do live where its pretty warm. i'm in the Sonoran Desert. our temps for the last week have been a high around 68-73 and low around 35-40. i don't now how people can live where its close to zero all winter..ive never done well in the cold. lol. the chickens are doing good so far from what i can tell. i'll have to try giving them a bath tomorrow. its supposed to be about 72 outside so it will be a nice day to clean them up. around what age will they start egg laying? i'm excited to have chickens. we just moved to a new house on 4 1/2 acres so we finally have room for all our dogs, horses, rabbits etc. its nice having all this space. do you have any reccomendations for a good coupe size for them?

1st...
welcome-byc.gif

2nd...
hugs.gif
for rescuing those poor birds!

3rd... is it just me, or did this 1st timer luck out and get all females?
woot.gif

Firstly, Welcome
big_smile.png

Secondly, Wow you are a FANTASTIC person for taking in though beautiful hens! (yes, i beleive they're girls)
They are young, however, i would say they we're about 4 months? My 3 month old chicks look alot smaller and are still feathering, so i'd guess yours are a little older, though, still their combs are small as are their wattles. So around that.
The black and white ones id say are barred rock, though not 100%
The red one, id say was a Rhode island red, had a few, looks a beauty too.
And the one with green leegs, EE.
As for the Lemon one, no idea
sad.png

Well done on the Hens
smile.png

Your own egg's arwe the best!

YES THE FIRST TIMER WAYYYYYY LUCKED OUT!!!!!!!! yay for her! ;-) i honestly wouldnt worry about bathing the,, give them some dry dirt or dry sand in a box and they will bathe themselves!

Surely he took better care of them than that?? Those poor birds, luckily you got em. I see two EE's two barred rocks, and a RIR. look like hens. If they lived in that tiny tub all the time how come they look so good? I can only imagine the drugery of a life like that. I rescued a duck that lived in a bucket for 6 months, she had to learn how to walk. I'm suprised those pullets can stand as well as they do in the pics. Good for you, you will enjoy them and they sure will be greatfull to you!

Back
Top Bottom