I just set 42 TJs Fertile Eggs! >>>>>Final Count 32!!!!

Quote:
gig.gif
You crack me up!

Quote:
My experience is much less than yours and with a much smaller subset of consumer who would buy these type of eggs. The people that I know best who make these types of purchases are young (college-age) idealist vegetarians. They seem much more interested in the animal welfare aspect. Their concern with nutrition is more vague and seems to focus on the fact that just by eating organic and vegetarian they are eating healthy.

It does make sense that a broader base of consumer would have different concerns. Especially (hypothesizing again) consumers with children, or people who have reached the age to realize they're not invincible and immortal, and they better start really thinking about proper nutrition in a deeper way.
wink.png
I hadn't thought before, how skewed my mental image of that type of consumer was based on the specific population I know.

And, btw...I wasn't being smart-alecky above. Re-reading my response I realize it might come across that way. I'm really interested in people's reasons for doing things.

Quote:
A recent study conducted by Mother Earth News has found that eggs from pasture raised hens have higher values for a number of nutrients than USDA data for eggs from hens in confinement houses. Pastured eggs contain: 50% more vitamin E; 4 times the beta carotene; 35 times the omega-3 fatty acids; and half the cholesterol. And, they contain 10.5 mcg of folic acid (that is 10.5 mcg more than USDA’s data for eggs).

A recent study funded by the USDA shows meat from chickens raised on pasture contained: 21% less total fat, 30% less saturated fat, 28% fewer calories, 50% more vitamin A, and 100% more omega-3 fatty acids.

A study conducted by James Madison University found bacterial contamination to be lower in pastured poultry: 133 colony-forming units per milliliter (cfu/ml) in pastured poultry compared to 3600 cfu/ml in conventional poultry.

A Virginia Tech study found pastured poultry to be 70% lower in fat, and of the fats present, poly-unsaturated were much higher than mono-saturated.

And a study by Pennsylvania State University found 3 times the omega-3s, twice the vitamin E, and 40% more vitamin A in the eggs of chickens on pastured compared to conventional confinement. (“>

For more information visit: http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs/ or www.eatwild.com

so hypothesize away I will. My personal opinion on the organic natural crowd is simply that most are very ignorant of what is organic and what is not, what is healthy and what is not. Even the ideal of a organic grown garden is with its flaws. Generaly speaking, a organic grown plant will be healthier than one fed a diet of chemical fertilizers, but just because someone uses tons of manures and compost doesnt mean that they are raising a healthier vegitable. Once our soils where virgin and full of recycled nutrients derived from the process of vegitation growth and decay, animal consumpsion and again manures and decay. The nutrients where continually recycled and reused by the next crop or plant. Then came man and our over consumeing ways. We cutdown the trees, plowed up the land and pretty much used up all the available recycled nutrients. We bury these nutrients in landfields or flush into our septic systems nd pretty much remove any chance that the nutrients can be reused. We pat ourselfs on the back when we try to go organic with our composting and recycling efforts. All we are really doing is fooling ourselfs. Compost is only as good as the organic material the compost was derived from. If you are using compost materials derived from nutrient deficient soils, well, your compost will be nutrient deficient as well. Applying to much compost can further unbalance the the soils fertility levels makeing soil less fertile and the plants less healthy and no better than the plants that are grown with the chemical fertilizer. If the nutrients are deficient in the soil, or in our compost, and we dont supply those missing nutrients, then the plants we grow will also be deficient in those same missing nutrients.

I am all for going organic, recycleing, and energy conservation, but my "hypothesize" is that most organic folks dont and wont take the time to learn the properway to use organic materials, and most often are led to believe whatever some other nutcase tells them is the gospel as far as how we should live and grow organic foods.

I think most folks that are interested in Organic food and organic food production would absolutely agree with you. I think you may give the Organic consumer a little less credit for their knowledge base than I do. Many are very well informed. I am surprised every day.

Quote:
You doing the TJ thing too?

I am not prepared for 42 chicks!!

But they have been processed and probably roughly handled... I just want to see if I can get a chick or two...

I thought about the washing of the "bloom" off of the eggs but we will just have to wait and see...

Two semesters ago I took a Poultry Science class at my college. We had to do a project that either involved hatching eggs, raising broilers or hens for eggs.

I chose to incubate and my project was to see if eggs lost their hatchability if they were washed. So I took 20 eggs, washed 10 with a commercial egg wash and incubated them. I had 2 quit halfway through (one from each group) and in the end, all 9 un-washed eggs hatched and 8 of the washed eggs hatched.

And get this... One of the eggs I washed was covered in hairline cracks, but it still hatched and produced a nice, healthy chick.

So I dont necessarily think the washing part will affect them, but like you said, the rough handling and the "cuticle" they place back on the egg might affect it. Im very interested to see how this goes.

Not neccessarily a huge control group, but I would sure think indictive of what would happen if you did dozens and dozens. There is so much bias against washing that I really don't but it seems like it would not much matter. NIce study.;

I wonder if it would change if you washed and held them forf a while.

Thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
Not really, I have found wide volumes of very knowledgeable people, some with 2 and 3 phd's that like to talk about the merits of one organic product or program. What I have found almost with every single one of those supposed smart folks is that they always have a product to promote, and somewhere along the line, they are making money off of that product. Just because they have a phd or Dr. infront of their names, everybody wants to believe they know what they are talking about. As pitiful as it might sound, more often than not, and whether they know better or not, they are promoteing their product or program simply because they are makeing money off of it, and because this information comes from some Dr. or Phd, folks tend to listen/believe to what they say.

One undisputable fact is our food supply comes from sources that are chemical, physical, and biological and these properties have to be in balance before we can truely say we are eating healthy. It is when these chemical, physical, and biological properties get out of balance that we start seeing diseases, deformaties and premature death in the plants, as well as, the animal kingdoms. All plant and animal life starts from our soils, if the soils are not in proper balance, then nothing else will be either. There is no one cureall product or program on the market that is 100% effective at making our food sources healthy.

I apologize to the OP of this thread, it was not my intent to hijack it and get completely off topic. I will end my rant here.

Back
Top Bottom