I just shot my first Coyote! 10pm

So sorry about your roo! But you did the right thing, you were protecting your flock. Accidents happen and we all know you intended to shoot and kill. Nature will take over from here, and your birds can sleep a little easier tonight knowing there's one less coyote.

Don't feel bad you did the right thing. You have to protect your flock. Even if you didn't make the kill the other coyotes finished the job for you. They will turn on an injured one. This probably didn't make you feel any better, just the way they are. They are cowards unless in a group. Getting yourself a better rifle sounds like a good idea. I do agree on a clean shot.

I do command you as Redhen has said, I myself would have a hard time shooting anything. My SO takes care of those things but I still don't like the idea. He had to shoot two foxes a couple of months ago. It bothered me but they were killing my birds so they had to go.

I think you also need to look into a few african grey geese. Those suckers are MEAN! I know my dogs were afraid of them and they were German Shepherds. There is also the Irish wolfhound you could think about for protection.

I would suggest a bigger shotgun with buckshot if you can't use a rifle in your area. Another poster mentioned a .243 which is an excellent rifle , but they have very long range ( we've shot groundhogs at @300 yds. ) I prefer ballistic tip bullets or silver tip bullets when I use smaller caliber rifles like the .243. About the shotgun : if you had a 16 or 12 gauge with a good thick recoil pad and either a pump or a semi-automatic (the semi auto. doesn't kick as hard) you could load a) a rifled slug followed by a couple rounds of #0 or #00 buckshot (if it is legal in your area) or b) a rifled slug followed by #4 shot shells. The idea is to kill the coyote with the slug , but if you miss you can chamber the buck shot and get him. You can also put scopes on a shotgun but get used to the eye relief if you decide to use one so you don't end up with a black eye
smile.png
You should be very proud of yourself for having the nerve to defend your flock against those @#$!@#% coyotes. They are quickly becoming a menace in most of the country.

First, good job on the defensive position. I hope next time it goes smoother. Skip the 45 rimmed idea, there's a safer alternative. There are 410 ga slugs available. You will have all the power you need in a slower moving projectile that won't have as much overtravel potential. To find some you like do a google search on 410 shotgun slug. The first couple results have them at decent prices. You can also get buckshot loads for the same round. They have 3,4 or 5 balls in each cartridge. If you think you may "jump the gun" a bit again, I'd suggest those instead. It doesn't sound like you need a scope, you have the ability to get them close enough. Also, they may have to tendency to scare into shyness, but it won't last. Over time, after being scared off, they will come closer and closer testing the waters. You will have to refresh the threat occasionally. If they keep not getting food at your place, they may move on, but when other supplies run out, they could return to try again.

you'll get over the remorse but you won't get your birds back. like others said, get something that will reach out a little more. not sure what you used but if you have no other weapon try some slugs in that .410. i'm convinced you'll have to clear out that pack before you can get back to normal.

Congratulations. A bigger gun would help, as would the suggestions on what loads would work best in your small gun. Remember, with a shotgun, especially the small 410, your coyotes should be no more than 40 yards away.

Depending on the size of yer goat pen, if ya have room a Llama is very effective on coyotes and won't bother the goats. I have never used them but know a lot of people that have with sucess. Also a GOOD electric fence placed on the outside of the goat pen about 12-16" off ground may help. They can hear and sense the electric and will avoid it.
If you choose the rifled slug for yer 410 make sure you don't have full choke it could be very dangerous to you and others close by.

thumbsup.gif
dont feel bad! they are dangerous and they have to be controlled some how. just think if they keep growing in numbers they will need more food and if there are young kids in your area they could get attacked!! i dont know if you would want to do it but you could put up a hot fence around your chickens at night. i think with you shooting that one they might not come back. we have them pretty bad around our house to. any time i hear them at night i go out and shoot just to scare them off. they scare the crap out of me!! i have animals and two young girls. i dont want those things no where near my house!!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom