I just shot my first Coyote! 10pm

PunkërTeçhñöRøø§ter :

They might possibly turn and eat the wounded one. Who knows ? Coyotes killed my first pet goat. I have no pity for them.

The coyotes will turn on and eat a injured one. A couple of years ago my So and myself were camping on the Talapossa river. We had our dogs with us. The only light we had going at the time was the campfire. We were woken up to the dogs barking and after investigating the situation we realized after awhile we were surrounded by coyotes. I had to lock my dogs in our vehicle to keep them from going after the coyotes. We had pitt bulls with us but at the time had no idea how many coyotes were surronding us. My So got his gun and finally found one he could take a safe shot at. Now you have to remember we were working with limited light. My So is usually a great shot. Well he just wounded one of the coyotes. Both of us were not happy with the outcome. At that point the coyotes crossed the river at a shallow point and we heard the remaining coyotes tearing it apart. Not a pretty sound but what choice did we have. I'm sure they were coming in for my dogs. We had to do what we felt we needed to do to keep all of us safe.

Now when my So takes a shot at one at the house, it drops where it was shot. I still say you did the right thing and you are alot braver than myself. Take those suckers out and protect your flock.​

I'd say you need to get educated and proficient with guns. I need to do the same thing. Meanwhile, you did the best you could, nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Call a taxidermist. They can probably tell you who in your area skins animals. Around here anyone can shoot a coyote on their property, but you need a permit to skin it. We have a guy we call. He will come pick the coyote up and he sells the skins. At least it's not wasted.

i have not read all the replys.. but..

get a RIFLE.. and learn how to use it.... the thought of a wounded animal is hard,, but a wellplaced bullet will drop them where they stand...
coyotes are not endangerd,, they are a pest in most states.... so thinning out the pack in your area is probably a good thing....
"take-out" a few of the younger ones,, the adults will make more for next year..

We have lots of coyotes here. We see them almost every day. We NEVER have any trouble with them. Why? Because we have good dogs. Coyotes are opportunists. The dogs have made it clear to the coyotes that trying to nab one of our goats or chickens is out of the question. Coyotes are territorial. The problem with shooting and trapping them is that another will just move into the territory you vacated by killing the resident. Our dogs have taught the resident coyotes to stay out. So no problems.

Yeah, our dogs are normally pretty good at keeping they coyotes at bay, I've even watched as my dog chased them away from the cattle, but enough is enough. They are out of control.

3 cows have been killed and now they've discovered the chickens. While I do feel bad about killing an animal, the farm is my livelihood, and I'm not willing to loose the farm (literally) to some coyotes.

PA is overrun with coyotes, too. I never had a probelm with them until last summer. They began to yelp way too close to my house. They quickly moved through the area, I believe they were on an animals' trail.

I am really interested in having chickens in my backyard, but am quite discouraged by people who tell me that I'm carzy or stupid because of the coyotes. My own mother called me selfish for wanting to "attract" coyotes into my yard for something to happen to my dogs!(However, this has been something I've wanted for a long time and I'm going to begin building my coop soon.)

How did they get to your chickens? What can I do to coyote-proof my coop? I plan to put them inside everynight...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Animals really are like people and it's devistating to lose them.

if the coys are coming in that freely and during the day, they are also coming in at night. You will not be there with (hopefully more gun) all the time. In my area we can keep foot traps open on private property. You may need to chain your dogs for a while, but foot traps do the job real quick, especially during the first couple of weeks.

As to other predators................we live in a small rural town of 1,000 souls. Most folks have a little acreage. I know of at least 20 guys (me included) that keep a live trap open year round..........coons, skunks, feral cats, etc.

Sure works for us...........and either day or night............24/7

Not that we enjoy it, but controlling predation and protecting our livestock is part of good animal husbandry.

Sometimes dogs are just not enough. I have 2 dogs, VERY protective Blue Healers (Darla has alerted us to 2 snakes in less than a month, one a spreading adder, the other a copperhead, that was VERY close to the 16 month old, AND my coop)

Anyway, about 2 years ago, my dogs wouldnt settle down. They came in and went out. In and out. the last time they were outside throwing a fit, Coyotes were all around. Then there was a huge ruckus. I went out with the gun. They had attacked my oldest healer. His back legs wouldnt work. I got him inside, and for the first time in my life I was scared. My husband works nights and pretty much always have. It has never bothered me. At all. I have slept in the barn with 2 kids and a sick horse, and never been this apprehensive.

One coyote was about 20 feet from my door. behind our fuel barrel. Its friends were about 80 feet on the other side of the house. They were 'talking'. I couldnt shoot (one way was the full fuel barrel, the other was the highway and houses), was scared to leave my porch, and BIG pregnant. I guess I was afraid they would come on in an attack me too. LOL

My point is, having dogs helps. Until they decide they dont care about the dogs. They WILL become that brave. My MIL has a yard FULL of dogs, Coyotes walk right up into the yard, to the back steps. making sure to stay away from a pen or the end of a chain. I kid you not. My BIL shot one about 15 ft from the back steps as it was leaving.

Yes, their might be 'another' to take over that terroritory, BUT, in the meantime YOU will have a few peaceful nights if you shoot them.

BTW, after about 8 or 9 months, my dog can walk again, Not quite as perfect as he was. BUT he gets around. Sometimes even playing. For weeks I had to walk him in a sling. Then he had to use a ramp. But I am very careful about them going out after dark now.

Quote:
Great job, only thing I would change.. Instead of a 410, go with a 20 gauge minimum.... my reasoning is this.... More pellets if throwing buckshot, and if you are throwing slugs, well it's a goner no matter where you hit it. A 20 gauge has little kick, not much more than your .410. Don't use birdshot on a coyote, it probably won't kill it cleanly.

Back
Top Bottom