I just started my 1st incubation...

Flashlight definitely! You don't want wet eggs this early.

Tilt the lid open, grab an egg, close the lid. Candle the egg. Replace the egg, and grab another. Repeat. Over and over lol. You don't have to do them all at one time. Wait a few hours or even do some tomorrow.

If you have a small flashlight, just put the light up to the shell of the eggs, you should see vein development easily like that, without the risk of dropping an egg.

Let us know how it goes!!;)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was really set on using the water process, but maybe now isnt the time for it. So flashlight it is.

We have one here very powerfull, Used to go deepwaterfishing. Already tried with normal eggs and i noticed that most my eggs ( not incubated) have calcium defiencency. Like i saw on a YT video. I need to fix that.

But tomorow i will follow your advise. Candle half of one side of the incubator. On monday the other half. That way the incubator doesnt loose too much heat and humidity and the videos arent that long.

I have a day 7 video, but still boring with nothing new.

Thank you.

So i was looking around how to candle my eggs and i had a har time picking one.

So i made one from the innertube of toilet paper and a flashlight. Perfect and cheap.

So i finally got something done to help me out with candling my eggs. Simple and easy.

Tried it yesterday and i liked it. The only downside was some of my eggs werent fertil and some didnt develop.

Here is the 1st part of my video. Those that are still in good shape makes it worth it.

Part 2.

Let me know what you guys think.

So i finally got something done to help me out with candling my eggs. Simple and easy.

Tried it yesterday and i liked it. The only downside was some of my eggs werent fertil and some didnt develop.

Here is the 1st part of my video. Those that are still in good shape makes it worth it.

Part 2.

Let me know what you guys think.

I didn't watch every second of your videos, but it looks like a neat little candler you made. Hard to see a lot from the camera angle, I could tell some were clear, and some were not. I noticed that you mostly candled from the pointy end, and some you turned over to the fat end. The air cell should be in the fat end, and you should see the veining reaching toward the air cell. I don't bother to look at the pointy end much until close to hatch time, and basically then just to see how full of chick it is. Also, paying attention to the size of the air cell lets you know if your humidity is too high or too low. The air cell should increase over time, like this diagram. If the air cell is too small, then your humidity is too high. If its too large, then your humidity is too low.

I didn't watch every second of your videos, but it looks like a neat little candler you made. Hard to see a lot from the camera angle, I could tell some were clear, and some were not. I noticed that you mostly candled from the pointy end, and some you turned over to the fat end. The air cell should be in the fat end, and you should see the veining reaching toward the air cell. I don't bother to look at the pointy end much until close to hatch time, and basically then just to see how full of chick it is. Also, paying attention to the size of the air cell lets you know if your humidity is too high or too low. The air cell should increase over time, like this diagram. If the air cell is too small, then your humidity is too high. If its too large, then your humidity is too low.

Thanks for watching and yes its kind of boring since i dont like to talk at all. I flashed with the pointy end because i didnt want to shake the egg and cause harm. Yes some were clear as day so we know those werent fertil. Maybe i need to do another set up so the the light beans 1st on top of the egg, were ar sack should be.. There s an idea.

Since this is my 1st and the humidity part is the one i really have a hard time controling , its just like a guessing game. I try and leave it around 50-65. Ill put water until it gets stabled at 65 so it can go down slowly. When it gets to 50 i put some water. Another thing i do as you can see on my videos i write then down, temp and Hum. But the videos also track them too.

1st week was fun. Second im kind of nervous. Now to build a home for baby chicks. Next time ill get another close up. If im doing anything wrong let me know. Im learning here.

Thank you

It's all trial and error to begin with. You are not in the united states, correct? That high of humidity is usually way too high for most of us here, so please check a few eggs again and concentrate on the size of the air cell and compare to that picture. If they don't lose enough moisture (which causes the air cell to increase size) then the chick can grow too large and can't get out of the egg.

Maybe you can put a little bend on the end of your flashlight chute, and just turn it around in your hand, and move the egg to it that way. So then the air cell end goes to the light without having to flip the egg too much. Just some thoughts for you to consider. :)

It's all trial and error to begin with. You are not in the united states, correct? That high of humidity is usually way too high for most of us here, so please check a few eggs again and concentrate on the size of the air cell and compare to that picture. If they don't lose enough moisture (which causes the air cell to increase size) then the chick can grow too large and can't get out of the egg.

Maybe you can put a little bend on the end of your flashlight chute, and just turn it around in your hand, and move the egg to it that way. So then the air cell end goes to the light without having to flip the egg too much. Just some thoughts for you to consider.
smile.png
No im not. I live in azores. Midle of the atlantic. Between USA and Europe. We have high humidity all year long. Temps are cool. Never too high and never too low.
Now im a bit worried about the air sack. Im going to try and make a new setu to put the eggs and have the flashlight in another position.

Thank ou for your help.

If you could snap a pic of one while candling down into the fat end, we may be able to tell if they are growing at the proper rate. Its not too late to make adjustments!
Oh, and in that pic, the line is slanted. Don't be alarmed if yours aren't tilted like that. Sometimes they do stay flat throughout incubation. The size is what matters. :)

Back
Top Bottom