I killed a chick... again.

How would someone go about culling the whole flock? I could not do it, but what if i asked someone to do it for me who knew nothing about chickens? Not that I have to cull, I only have one chick about 4 weeks old. I'm just new to chickens and mostly tring to learn all I can.

Quote:
Six to eight weeks old. Have been on denagard without success for 7 days at the full strength rate (1 Tbsp/1 Gallon water). Swollen eyes, sneezing, runny nose, losing weight. I didn't stoop to giving Baytril until their eyes began to swell and look bad and the weight loss became worse. Not all of the birds in this pen of about 12 have these symptoms, only about five.
I have given tiny doses of Baytril to other birds of this age without issue, but in the past I did lose one in this same immediate fashion. I just wondered if others had experienced this.
I would like to know what you would recommend in this type of situation - I'm very open to suggestions and want to do the best for my birds.
Thank you for your reply.

You are dealing with a respiratory illness most of these are virus which antibiotics will not help. I would get a necropsy done so you know what you are dealing with. Even if your birds recover they will be carriers that means that they will pass this illness on to any and all birds you bring in. If you plan on selling chicks or hatching eggs this can infect other people flocks. I would cull that is my rule for dealing with these issues.

To the person who asked
How would someone go about culling the whole flock? I could not do it, but what if i asked someone to do it for me who knew nothing about chickens? Not that I have to cull, I only have one chick about 4 weeks old. I'm just new to chickens and mostly tring to learn all I can.

There are only a few ways to cull a chicken using a ax or breaking the neck some vets might help.

Back
Top Bottom