I killed my first predators last night

Morgaine

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Texas
Well I killed 1 possum and 1 raccon last night. I shot at another raccon but either missed o only grazed it, we couldn't find it. Something got one of my 5 week old chicks saturday night so I put a big pile of cat food out and sat there with the back door open with the .22 rifle. The poosum came around 9:30 and the raccons around 10 ish. DH buried them last night. I think it surprised him that I actually killed them, but nothing messes with mt babies. I'm doing the same thing tonight to see if the raccon that got away comes back.

wanda047

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Hardy, Arkansas
wee.gif
I second that!! You go girl!! Remember they'll come at all hours of the night... even in the wee hours of the morning. You're gonna lose some sleep. You should get a motion light to alert you of a potential predator.
wink.png

Morgaine

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Texas
I wouldn't have shot them if one of my chicks hadn't gone missing. This all happened less than 10 feet from the coop too. I only put the cat food out so I could get them were I had a good shot. I didn't like it, but had too.

phoenixbantam

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
Thanks for the cat food idea. Something got my only chicken last night
sad.png
I am going to try the cat food idea and seeing if I can kill whatever got them. I really hate to kill anything but I am furious. Sorry for your loss
sad.png

Morgaine

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Texas
We've ssen them around before, usually on the front porch eating the cat food that was left. So I think that was what fist brought them to the area. I'm going to gave to find a better place for the cat food for the outside cats.

Morgaine

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Texas
Quote:
We've tried trapping before but have never had any luck. They get the bait and don't set it off or we catch the cats. about a month ago hubby killed a raccon too, it had gotten into the chicken feed bucket when the lid wasn't put on all the way.

jhm47

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Morgaine: Thanks for being a good neighbor and not "relocating" your problems to someone else.

Top Bottom