I killed my first predators last night

Morgaine

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Texas
Well I killed 1 possum and 1 raccon last night. I shot at another raccon but either missed o only grazed it, we couldn't find it. Something got one of my 5 week old chicks saturday night so I put a big pile of cat food out and sat there with the back door open with the .22 rifle. The poosum came around 9:30 and the raccons around 10 ish. DH buried them last night. I think it surprised him that I actually killed them, but nothing messes with mt babies. I'm doing the same thing tonight to see if the raccon that got away comes back.

wee.gif
I second that!! You go girl!! Remember they'll come at all hours of the night... even in the wee hours of the morning. You're gonna lose some sleep. You should get a motion light to alert you of a potential predator.
wink.png

I wouldn't have shot them if one of my chicks hadn't gone missing. This all happened less than 10 feet from the coop too. I only put the cat food out so I could get them were I had a good shot. I didn't like it, but had too.

Thanks for the cat food idea. Something got my only chicken last night
sad.png
I am going to try the cat food idea and seeing if I can kill whatever got them. I really hate to kill anything but I am furious. Sorry for your loss
sad.png

We've ssen them around before, usually on the front porch eating the cat food that was left. So I think that was what fist brought them to the area. I'm going to gave to find a better place for the cat food for the outside cats.

Quote:
We've tried trapping before but have never had any luck. They get the bait and don't set it off or we catch the cats. about a month ago hubby killed a raccon too, it had gotten into the chicken feed bucket when the lid wasn't put on all the way.

Morgaine: Thanks for being a good neighbor and not "relocating" your problems to someone else.

Back
Top Bottom