I killed my rooster...I feel awful

There are so many people who need to get rid of roosters - why not try freecycle or craigslist? That way you could try out the rooster to see if you like him.

I've heard that banty roos will try to mate the standards. It's kind of up to the standards if they mind him bringing along a ladder every time he gets amorous.

And, of course, always quarantine any new bird.

Oh, I am sorry but it sounds like it had to be done for the good of your hens. I have never had a rooster but I guess there are sweet and gentle ones from what I read on this site.

Anne

Yikes! Be wary of the game birds! Mine are people friendly, but not hen friendly. I have one that I can hold like a baby and rock to sleep in my arms, but he was mauling the hens. I have another game-type bird that is extremely aggressive and has to sleep in his own cage in the garage.

And it's hard enough to give away a roo, much less a game bird type of roo. You might be able to unload a silkie or a cochin roo, but no one wants to take a game bird, no matter how pretty they are. Even the farm animal rescues here have informed me that they will take in roosters, but they euthanize them right away.

I'm sorry you had to do that terrible deed, but I've contemplated it myself. If we can hold out for a month, and if no one takes him, my troublemaker is being driven to my in-laws 160 acre farm in Kansas and set out to free range on his own, where he can't cause trouble.

The wildlife in SE Kansas had better beware. Tommy is coming. :thun

Last edited:
WE HAD TO DO THE SAME ONCE. WE HAD A BIG BLACK ROOSTER,NO IDEA OF THE BREED, HE TRIED TO ATTACK MY 2YR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER, I BLOCKED HIM INSTEAD HE GOT MY LEG AND KNEE WITH HIS TALONS, CUT THROUGH MY JEANS, AND PUT TWO HOLES IN MY LEG, I AM SO GREATFUL IT WAS NOT HER LITTLE FACE.
SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO,EVEN THOUGH IT IS SAD.
YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!
smile.png
yippiechickie.gif

I know that must have been hard, but you did the right thing. I have a cockeral that attacked my husband yesterday. He doesn't have spurs yet so no harm done. However, if we can't teach him better manners, I am facing the same thing.

Sorry you feel bad about what you had to do. But he attacked you, and he had to go.

I stepped off my steps one day, and my rooster attacked me. That was it. Was no reason for it there wasn't a hen on that side of the house. He met up with Mr Browning 12 gauge shotgun.

The other rooster started stalking me. I kid you not, that blamed rooster would stalk me. I finally told the DH that if he didn't take care of him, I would.

I had to take care of a mascoby duck about 15 years ago and still, every once in awhile feel guilty about it. He was very sweet while young and one of our childrens pets. But grown, he attacked everyone who came onto or near our property. I swear his claws were 4 inches long! He'd trap the kids up in the tree house. Attacked the neighbor who was working on his car. Chased me back and forth across the front of our property when I went to get the newspaper, me trying desperately to pick up enough speed to get into the front door on my next pass. (Still laugh at that now). One morning while I was leaving for work, he came after me all covered in mud with a very angry look on his face. I had had enough! I smacked him with the door of the mini van and jumped inside. He stood there in front of the van like he thought he was invincible. I swear giving me the evil smile of a devil duck. I had to make a choice. I ran over his butt. Backed up and did it again. I was young and didn't know how cruel that sounds today. But it had to be done. He didn't suffer, so please don't report me for animal cruelty.

i would recomend a cochin. they are the sweetest bird ive ever been around. and it wasnt just one that i had this experiance. bantams are even nicer. very gentle and kind. + u still get a good crow
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom