I know I JUST had you guys help solve a crisis but LOOK AT THIS , help please

Pics
That's no longer considered to be a humane method of amputation. And, again, it's not needed here. He may as well have a little chicken comb, it's not going to get in his way or cause him any trouble.
I would be curious to see if he has any feeling in it. Maybe lightly pinch the toes between two fingers and see if he responds at all. I assume there are nerves. I'd also love to see an X-ray, though I doubt that will happen (due to cost) unless you know a curious biologist who owns an X-ray machine.

Come to think of it, if someone for whatever reason really wanted to breed a line of ducks that was otherwise perfectly healthy but had a few toes growing out of their heads, I wouldn't have any complaints. It's not like English bulldogs or those breeds of pigeon that have faces so smushed they can't feed their young- it's an oddity, but a harmless one. The absolute worst that could happen is the others might peck at it a bit.
You could maybe take him to the dentist and ask them to take an xray of him. One xray without insurance is roughly $35 and the digital sensor is pretty much perfect for the size of his little head. Minimal radiation as far as xrays go too. Not sure if they'd be willing, but it couldn't hurt to ask. (I'm a dental assistant, and if a patient brought him in and asked me I'd have no problem doing it, assuming the doctor didn't mind)

Edit: Sorry, hadn't made it to the end of the thread when I posted this. Sorry for the loss of your little ones. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom