1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I know it probably gets discussed a lot...but I need some support :-)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by superjules75, Nov 12, 2009.

1. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    My buff orp is 26 weeks old and not even close to laying. She doesn't squat and her comb is little. Is this normal? Will I wait forever? I've seen that one guy's post with pictures of his buff orps but I'm wondering what is the longest anyone has waited...thanks!

2. Fuzzy_Hat_Farm

Fuzzy_Hat_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Maryland
    [​IMG] unfortunately, I don't have Buff Orpington's (which I wanted), but I have a couple hens that just started laying and they never did the squat and the one I caught laying sure didn't have a comb as big as the other girls who are STILL not laying. You never know, they may surprise you soon with a little present. Hang in there!

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    My BOs were about 30 weeks

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

She'll get there. Some of my hybrids appear to be Buff Orp crosses, I know the alpha could be a BO. She was slower to start but is the best hen in the flock for temperament and is a very reliable layer now. I bet your girl is jealous of the others!

[​IMG]

5. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Last year I had 4 hatch in the last week of February. One started laying in September, one in November (then she immediately went into a moult and didn't start laying again til February), and the other two started laying on New Year's day. I have only one word of encouragement for you: patience [​IMG]. I think the cooler weather and shorter daylight span has a lot to do with it, too.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:What a neat photo, Lynne, the lighting is really nice!

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Just a lucky shot! That hen is a broody, who is very annoyed with me each morning as I take 'her' eggs away. Then she settles into the daily routine. She self-plucks but keeps a good weight and likes to tuck her head in my coat pocket- no doubt looking for eggs. [​IMG]

8. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    Quote:There is a chart on this subject that BYCers have contributed to that tells when the earliest egg came from a breed and the latest, it is updated regularly. I will see if I can locate it and post the link for you:)

9. superjules75

superjules75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, I've seen that but it says the latest for BO is 28 weeks and I've heard a lot of people say it took theirs much longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by