I know neither the breed nor the gender of this chicken and I've been terrible at guessing so far.

The reason I ask is because, like the Cream Legbar, there appears to be some connection possibly to the UK style of tailed, crested Araucana. Also like the legbar, it appears to have yellow legs. Unlike the legbar however...well basically everything else about this bird actually.

This made me tear up from holding in laughter at work.

I've assumed she's a girl all this time and she isn't doing anything rooster-ish, I just realized I didn't know and I already have a surprise lavender rooster... now she has this weird tail feather and comb thing going on so I panicked.

This made me tear up from holding in laughter at work.

I've assumed she's a girl all this time and she isn't doing anything rooster-ish, I just realized I didn't know and I already have a surprise lavender rooster... now she has this weird tail feather and comb thing going on so I panicked.
Yeah I really suspect some British Araucana heritage is at play here personally. The similarities are extremely striking. As for gender well...this one's a bit of a conundrum

Where did you get her? A few of the big hatcheries are getting Legbars and using them to make Easter-eggers and Olive-Eggers, so I'm wondering if that's a possibility here. Meyer Hatchery, for example, has Legbar-based Olive Eggers and a few different Easter-egger crosses, such as their 'Lakeshore Egger', which your bird strongly resembles.

Where did you get her? A few of the big hatcheries are getting Legbars and using them to make Easter-eggers and Olive-Eggers, so I'm wondering if that's a possibility here. Meyer Hatchery, for example, has Legbar-based Olive Eggers and a few different Easter-egger crosses, such as their 'Lakeshore Egger', which your bird strongly resembles.

Just a local farm. I live and work at a school on 20 acres and we hatch chicks every other year. She's one of the ones I kept personally. Totally sure she's just a mix but didn't know of what -- thought it would help me gender her!

Back
Top Bottom