I know nothing about incubators

ahgarland8

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2015
summerfield Fl
Ok so im wanting to try my hand at hatching some chicks. Please recommend a fool proof incubater for me.....with all the humidity/turning/temp talk im lost! Not wanting to spend over 150 if i can....also any tips tricks or help will be much appreciated!

I don't think any incubator is fool proof, but it's not that hard. I have made my own and have a store bought incubator with a turner. When I'm being lazy or don't have the time to dedicate for turning I use the store bought, but I actually like my homemade one better. I spent under a hundred for my store bought with turner from TSC but I made my own (without a turner) for about $20.

X2 on the above for no incubator is fool proof. But generally the less babysitting you want to do of the incubator the more you generally have to pay. I've not ever made my own incubator, but I did start out with a cheap Chinese one that was very erratic on the temps and a completely wrong on the thermostat. Took a lot of tweeking and checking plus had no turner.
I was going to be incubating regular so getting a Brinsea octagon with humidity pump was worth the money for me. I don't have to do any thing now only top the water tank up under the pump. Takes out the worry of incubation and has produced me some great results.

Here is the incubator review section I hope you find it useful https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/egg-incubators

Good luck with your choice of incubator :thumbsup

I would get the better hova bator or little giant (which I have) and they usually come with the egg turners. Then go get a couple thermomaters and humidity meters and your set. I have the little giant with the digital screen so u can adjust your temp it's not accurate but my meters I put in there are and I'm doing great. I don't have to really baby sit it just make sure you put it in a draft free area thhat stays a fairly decent temp. I dry incubate the first 18 days wichester means I don't put water on the bottom of the incubator and them at lock down which is day 18-21 I out water in it humidity goes right around 60-70% and chicks do fine. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom