I know potato skins are bad but...

Mikey D

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Apache Junction AZ
How about cooked potatoes?

Smashed taters or (I know, I know) Steak fries?

Not as a steady diet but maybe a treat?

The bottom line is: will french fries hurt my chickens?

And will cooking potato skins render them non poisonous to the chickies?

It's not the potato or peel that is bad for the chickens, it is the green layer (on some potatoes) between the skin and flesh. I think that layer shows up on some potatoes that have had sun exposure while growing. Potatoes and skin w/o the green layer are fine, and if they have a green layer then they need to be peeled deeper then that level and then the flesh is fine.

Yes, it is only the green potato skins that are bad for your chickens and bad for you. Only the GREEN parts, and yes, that is from sunburned potatoes.

From what I've read, you have to get that green stuff a lot hotter than boiling temperatures to neutralize it. I would not count on cooking the green part to make it safe. Just dispose of the green parts of the potato so you and your chickens do not eat it.

Yes, it is only the green potato skins that are bad for your chickens and bad for you. Only the GREEN parts, and yes, that is from sunburned potatoes.
From what I've read, you have to get that green stuff a lot hotter than boiling temperatures to neutralize it. I would not count on cooking the green part to make it safe. Just dispose of the green parts of the potato so you and your chickens do not eat it.

Just out of curiosity - green potatoes are bad for humans in what way? Someone told me about this ages ago, but could not tell me why.

I have heard that also. I suspect it is because they are members of the nightshade family. I just make sure I peel that green skin off. We haven't died yet. They turn green when exposed to light. Keep them taters in the dark.

Rufus

Just out of curiosity - green potatoes are bad for humans in what way? Someone told me about this ages ago, but could not tell me why.

The green color is actually caused by high levels of chlorophyll, which by itself is harmless. But it is also a sign that levels of solanine, which is produced at the same time as chlorophyll, have increased as well. According to Alexander Pavlista, a professor of agronomy and horticulture at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, a 100-pound person would have to eat about 16 ounces of a fully green potato to get sick. That is the weight of a large baked potato.

Symptoms can be

Solanine is a glycoalkaloid poison found in species of the nightshade family (Solanaceae), such as the potato (Solanum tuberosum). It can occur naturally in any part of the plant, including the leaves, fruit, and tubers. Solanine has fungicidal and pesticidal properties, and it is one of the plant'snatural defenses.

Chris

Last edited:
As Chris pointed out, the green is bad for you, but you or a chicken would have to eat a fair amount for it to cause problems. A chicken is not going to drop dead with one bite of green potato skins. Just like with most things that are "poisonous" to chickens or to us, there are minimum amounts necessary to cause problems. I don't sweat the small stuff.

For example, apple seeds and many other fruit seeds contain cyanide. But the apple seeds contain so little cyanide that you or your chickens are not going to eat enough to have problems unless they eat a lot. I don't worry at all about my chickens eating apples in my orchard or them eating apple cores if I've peeled an apple and put the core in the compost pile. They won't eat enough to hurt themselves. But if I make apple butter and have a large amount of seeds, I don't dump a huge pile where they can get to it.

Would my chickens get sick or maybe die if I dumped a huge pile of apple seeds where they can get to them. Probably not. But if you know of a specific danger, just take reasonable precautions.

Generally, chickens don't eat plants that are poisonous. Henbane is probably the only real danger.

Chickens will however, eat that rat poison that comes in the little box. Be careful with that stuff.

Rufus

How about cooked potatoes?

Smashed taters or (I know, I know) Steak fries?

Not as a steady diet but maybe a treat?

The bottom line is: will french fries hurt my chickens?

And will cooking potato skins render them non poisonous to the chickies?
In the late summer I opened up my garden fence to my potato patch and let the chickens free range in there. Low and behold, they ate all my potato plants. They dug and scratched and pulled up some potatoes but did not eat them. They had some packs and scratches on them but they didn’t eat them. I assumed they knew that it wasn’t good for them. I collected the potatoes because they weren’t going to grow anymore without their greens on top. They were small and a lot of them had green from exposure. All my chickens stayed healthy. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom