I know this has been asked and asked and asked...

new_to_chickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 1, 2009
but can you all give me some good guidelines about deworming? One of my barred rock hens looks kind of droopy. She has been looking rough this past week...broken feathers (from the boys), crop isn't full. I am isloating her to see what her poo looks like since I haven't witnessed her poos lately. She seems to be eating-I saw her eat today-she just doesn't have a lot in her crop. I have inspected her and she doesn't seem to have anything out of the ordinary going on. She has lost some weight recently...looking really scrawny. She still runs around although I do see her fluffed up more often than the others. So, I am thinking worms of some kind.

I have read some posts about deworming. What do you all recommend as a dewormer? Should I be giving her special things after to help keep her strength up (such as dairy, higher protein)? Oh, I have been giving the flock some oatmeal mixed with their layer scratch to help with any protein issues. That is the other thing I was thinking might be wrong with Fleur...low protein.

Suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks! I did that already...there is an overwhelming amount of information on here! I've been reading and reading for the past two or three hours. Sometimes it is easier to repost a topic and have people chime in, but I know how encumbersome that can be.

I have come up with some solutions. The more I read, the more I am leaning towards low protein. I will have to wait until I see some poo first though.

Thanks again.

Lets see.....

Wazine for round worms ( long stringy worms sometimes seen in poo ) most common
Safeguard/ Panacure for many types of worms, also give to turkey & peafowl to prevent Blackhead exposure from chickens(give in water or in throat) 1cc per 10lbs or 3 cc per gallon
Ivomec or Ivomec Eprix for many types of worms aswell as lice & mites (given on skin) 1/4 cc- 1/2 cc for bantams,1/2 cc - 1cc for Standards

Last edited:
[email protected] :

Are you sure she's not molting?

No, I am not sure she isn't molting...I hadn't really thought about that. She has lost weight, which is what has given me pause. Do they normally lose weight with molting? And the crop not being full also gives me concern especially when the other girls have very full crops. I will also add that she is my top producer, was the first to lay, and matured the quickest...so she could be molting.​

[email protected] :

Are you sure she's not molting?

Well, embarassingly enough...I DO think she is molting. I just looked up molting and found some pictures that look sneakingly suspicious! I have pulled her away from the flock just to give her some extra protein. I have had a chance to look at her poo and found no signs of worms. So...probably a combo of low protein and a very light molt. The flock is only 8 months old so I would suspect that more of them might have a light molt as well. So, increased protein, vitamin water, and lots of TLC!

Thanks you all for your help!​

Back
Top Bottom