I know this is a dumb question but.....

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Do eggs start to pip on the 20th or 21st day? In all my books it shows in the diagrams that on day 21 the chicks are standing there, hatched and fluffy. So do they pip on day 20 or 21? Assuming the temp has stayed a stable 99.7 most of the incubation period and 98.8 the last couple days. Tonight is day 20.

It can vary a lot. I've got some hatching right now that are only on day 19, but started pipping early this morning and by noon were hatching. Other eggs (different breed) that were put in the same incubator at the same time haven't done anything yet.

21 days is not set in stone. It is just a guideline to go by. Some hatch early and others hatch late. That mostly occurs due to incorrect temperature readings, but early hatches can happen if the chick runs out of room in eggs that are too small and late hatches happen for chicks that need more time to finish up absorbing in a very big egg. I've seen both sides, but typically my eggs average around 21 days. I usually see first pips on day 20 and hatching goes into day 21 & sometimes day 22 (for the lazy chicks).
smile.png

Jody

Quote:
These are bantam faverolle eggs, so I'm not sure if favs are a fast or slow hatching breed or not. I also have a silkie egg (the rooster, though, was a standard EE) so maybe that chick will start pipping due to lack of space.
smile.png
I really don't know if any are gonna hatch though, after the humidity problems (you've read about my paper towel crisis
sad.png
)

Back
Top Bottom