I know this is bad, but has anyone done it?

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
I know I'm sitting myself up for an attack. And I'm NOT saying I'm going to do it. I'm at my wits end. I'm poisoning the rats. I don't care anymore. My dogs and cats and birds CAN NOT and WILL NOT get to it. I have no neighbors real close so there pets can't either. I'm out after dark and out before day light to pick up any dead rats. I have foxes and coons who think they own me. They are wiping me out. I've tried live traps over and over. Has anyone ever thrown poisoned bodies out where those other predators could eat them? Just curious. I know it is a horrible thought.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying? Are you having a Rat problem? And you want to poison them, then use them to poison other predators?

A Rat problem is usually from excess food or garbage available to them.

Foxes and Coons are easy to live trap, you may have to try different baits and setups. (and a Judas chicken in a bait cage)

I don't use poison cause I grow a garden and don't want any more stuff in the local enviroment then I already have.

My friend's dog got a poisoned rat and it almost killed him...over four thousand dollars later...
roll.png

Rats are horrible when there is an infestation. I understand your frustration. Just be careful.

I have one in the greenhouse, and if it weren't for it being inflated plastic...I'd lay in wait with rat shot... I am fed up with the destruction.

How are you with snakes?? Invest in a few rat snakes or anyother friendly rat eating snake.The foxes ect. are there for rats as well, if rats are gone ??? Also there is a red flashing predator light that you can get and use on coons etc. It is motioned activated and No predator likes seeing the red eyes of another predator!
hide.gif

Poison the rats if you must, but collect any bodies. Leaving them out will impact more than those preditors bothering you (like birds or prey and other wildlife). I'd go for electric fencing or another option for your larger pests.

No attack from here. I've had rats and they're a terrible problem. If you don't want to use poison, some friends of ours tried a different method. Dry cement mix in chicken feed. The rats don't smell when they die, and the rest move on when the dying starts. Their problem was taken care of withinin a week. I'm not opposed to poison, just giving you another idea if you're not positive you want to use it. I guess I would think twice about throwing the poisoned rats out where foxes and coons can get them. You might get an unintended target that way. As stated, an electric fence might be a better option. Ordering snakes? I don't mind snakes, but you may need to check into the legality of bringing in non-native snakes to your area and turning them loose. Good luck. Keep us posted!

a barrel rat/mouse trap will kill a lot of mice/rats and uses no poison I have made them out of 5 gallon buckets and 55 gallon drums for barns picture a see saw mounted on top of a barrel and the barrel half full of water I like peanut butter in the middle of the see saw for bait when they step on either side of the see saw they fall in you empty the bucket a couple times a week a barrel every coupla weeks. get rid of the predator food (rats and mice) and the number of predators will go down

You need to disposed of the poisioned bodies more responsibly than just leaving them lying around for any animal to encounter. Many times non target aniamls, including those that are beneficial are harmed by eating poisoned corpses. For example, buzzards which are natures cleaners eat corpses. They are a beneficial bird and do not deserve to be poisoned. If you can't directly target a particular predator, than you are just weilding a deadly poison arbitrarily, and that's not very safe.

Back
Top Bottom