I know this is bad, but has anyone done it?

Quote:
You use the bacon flavored kind.

Just kidding of course. A vet is always better if time avails. It's a good hour to a vet and thats during business hours. We do the best we can and have learned many tried and true methods for gettin the job done. As far as vets go.... well I taught one how to caponize roosters last week. Just saying everyone knows a little something

Know what else kills rats without using poison ?? i found out because I found one in my garage dead - (kept trying to find the smell - ewwww - it was brutal for over a week - thought it was a dead mouse in the wall or something - and finally found it with the pellets storred in the garage)
wood stove pellets. they look like chicken feed pellets. i bet if you mixed them - it would work - as long as you kept track of what was what so other animals don't get into it.
Anyway, the rat got into the bag of pellets and ate them. Not sure why - maybe it was really hungry. I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant death having your stomach explode from expanding saw dust, but ... posion isn't any better and at least saw dust isn't toxic or harmful as far as I know to large animals that might find a dead rat to make dinner out of.

Just a thought ....

Quote:
You use the bacon flavored kind.

Just kidding of course. A vet is always better if time avails. It's a good hour to a vet and thats during business hours. We do the best we can and have learned many tried and true methods for gettin the job done. As far as vets go.... well I taught one how to caponize roosters last week. Just saying everyone knows a little something

Hi there! I am a vet, and I just learned how to caponize, too!
smile.png
Just wanted you to know that hydrogen peroxide is the best way to induce vomiting in your dog at home, and it should be done ASAP with something like rat poison. There are other poisons that you should avoid inducing vomiting on - check labels or call poison control. But the bacon grease thing is "old school" and it is much easier and safer to use peroxide. Just an FYI. Good luck!

And back to the thread... it really is best to use methods that specifically target the predator you are after, so leaving poisonous dead rats out is not a good idea... this is how so many predators have become threatened and endangered in our nation... the effects of eating poisonous foods. It can affect any carnivore. That being said, I know you are frustrated. Good luck with you predator issues.
fl.gif

I poison the mice in my crawl.LOL,found 2 jerky-mice the other day. But I can not poison anything in the yard due to my dogs.They seem to have a thing for little critters.I already know any medical bill over 500 is not something we could manage. I am clearing debris and hoping all those darn hawks,owls,cats,and whatever else will kill the rodents...along with my dogs.

Totally get your frustration.Poison is useful for sure when you can control who gets into it.My mom uses it in her garage after a mouse chewed up car wires.

I STILL disagree that you need to glue, poison,drown. I had my first rodent problem in 24 years of living in a forested/farmed area. there are TONS of predators and i discourage them. its not their fault if you're making it tempting. they don't understand your "owning" the property. I noticed rat holes this spring(going under chicken shed) and positioned Victor snap traps right by hole and covered hole/trap with a milk crate weighed down with 3 lbs. and it took 6 days to trap 6 rats but there was no poison, glue, drowning involved(all the worst cruelty) I believe there are adults left but at least I have no visual evidence of rats anymore. have kept Victor mouse snap traps set 24/7 for forever and RARELY have a mouse. I also set coon sized havaheart traps and whenever I trap someone(cats get neutered) truly wild(feral cats are NOT wild, just unsocialized domestics) I scare the bee-jeezers out of them and spray paint their back so I can see if anyone is a repeat and have NEVER had a repeat/predator problem. also keep food stored correctly(tight).

Quote:
Thats why I TEACH the smart ones to stay away by shooting the stupid ones. The "smart" one evidently are quick learners. Haven't seen any predators in months now.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thats why I TEACH the smart ones to stay away by shooting the stupid ones. The "smart" one evidently are quick learners. Haven't seen any predators in months now.
big_smile.png

When I read this, it actually occured to me that you are actually eliminating the easy to catch & kill ones from the gene pool and creating a super-rat. A type of rat that is good at making sure it doesn't encounter you. Think about it.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Along these lines, I had a Setter pup get ahold of a bar of mouse bait. She hadn't eaten much but still...I took two pieces of bread and kept toasting them until they were burnt all the way through, crunched it up and added enough water to make a paste, then used a large, 100 cc cattle syringe to get the paste down her throat. I waited about 10 min, then gave her 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. She was fine and suffered no damage. This method was given to me years ago by a vet. The burnt toast (charcoal) absorbs the poison, then the peroxide forces the animal to vomit it up.

Quote:
big_smile.png

When I read this, it actually occured to me that you are actually eliminating the easy to catch & kill ones from the gene pool and creating a super-rat. A type of rat that is good at making sure it doesn't encounter you. Think about it.
lol.png

If the "smart" ones figure out crossing my fence line earns them a bullet in the head so be it. This goes for ALL predators with the exception of protected species.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom