I know this makes me crazy but I'm going to ask anyway

I agree, most people feel something for their animals... at the very least they do not want them to suffer a long death or be raised in a dirty environment with out at least basic needs , clean water and food. I however do not process any of my animals, but have no ill feelings to those that do. It is just how I am, I enjoy keeping them as pets and have them for my own enjoyment. I will put one down if they are suffering, but if I've raised it, call me crazy but I can't eat it. If these turkeys will have a short life, as they were ment for processing, as hard as it is, I would do what needs to be done. I would find a breed you enjoy that is better suited for becoming a pet ( my personal favorite is Blue Slates). I have a hen and her daughter that are as sweet as pie, will follow you around and beg to be held and petted.... silly turkeys. Sorry for the choice you have to make, it is not easy when you care, but that's what makes us human.

I guess the reason I posted this on the Turkey forum instead of the Meat Bird forum is because I think maybe only people that have turkeys could really understand their "special" allure. I wasn't looking for shared "purpose" in being self sufficient but shared thoughts about turkeys in general. I butchered my own cornish x's this year and I honestly thought the turkeys would be that (I don't want to say easy) but maybe - less complicated.

The Cornish X - they never "talked" to me - they didn't call me every morning as I was walking to my car and they didn't greet me when I came home everynight. They didn't act curious - or interested - and they weren't interactive at all. I guess the point was that even a silly "meat bird" turkey has an interesting way of reacting to their environment. I wanted to hear peoples' experiences trying to keep these birds as a long term "project" - I bought and fed these birds for meat. I appreciate Omabird, Ivan, and my Dad sharing those experiences. I appreciate everyone who has shared a similar dilemma. My committment to the "boys" was that they would be well cared for while they were here - and then they would fulfill their purpose. I hoped that I could do it respectfully. I found that I got attached to them and thought that the easiest way out for me was to take them to the processor instead of doing it myself - I got even more attached and have investigated keeping them. For this year - I have to say that I think even though I am disappointed in myself for sending them to the processor instead of doing it myself, that is what I am going to do.

The piece of advice about raising heritage birds instead of the BBWs is welcome - I have two bourbon reds and I think that is a solid possibility as a solution for next year.

I appreciate that all of you shared your experiences and empathized in this shared angst. My special thanks to Ivan - as there is not much in life that cannot wind up as The Walrus and The Carpenter.

I have herd that some people that did prolong their life just let them free range and eat mostly what they found, that way they got exercise and a low carb diet, LOl. Well I guess I would just consider this a learning experience, that now you know how friendly and curious turkeys can be, and perhaps it will help prepare you for the next time, it won't catch you off guard. Consider it a right of passage, and that you are introducing yourself into the process slowly. This year have them processed, next year you will be better prepared to do it yourself if that is your goal. I know how much personality can be wrapped up in a turkey, and how hard it must be for you.
hugs.gif

I tried keeping one of those big white turkeys for a pet. It had fallen off the truck and I found it in the middle of the road. One day he just keeled over and died for no good reason. I would choose a different breed for a pet if I had it to do again.

Chickenzoo - "right of passage" I like that! Thank you!

Cassie - I remember your story. I'm glad you posted. I am sorry to hear about your turkey. That's the kind of information I'm looking for. I saw a truckload of those turkeys the other day. It made me sad and complicated this situation.

Boykin - the boy isn't really the problem - It's me. Wyatt stood and watched me butcher chickens and a rooster that couldn't behave himself. I have considered your suggestion over the last 48 hours and have come to the conclusion that it won't have a "happy ending" either. This has truly been the biggest learning experience of my poultry raising. These 7 turkeys have taught me a lot oddly enough they have certainly fulfilled a purpose!

Getting back to the original post, I got my first poultry 2 1/2 yrs ago. With the chickens came 6 broad breasted turkeys (son's gf ordered them). I sure didn't know what i was getting into. :) BB turkeys are very personable and friendly. They also outgrow their own skeletons and can break legs and get heart problems. They really aren't bred to keep much beyond the first year. One of my bronze toms broke a leg just standing around in the dog run waiting for butchering. It was heartbreaking. I decided no more BB turkeys.

I now have heritage turkeys. Started with 5 Bourbon Red/Narri crosses and one Blue Slate hen. Last yr, with hatched poults, I had 19 turkeys! I'm down to 9 now in several beautiful colors and need to butcher a few during the holiday season. 7 of them are last yr's poults. I have named them all and really enjoy them. Just can't afford to keep feeding so many as pets. It will be very difficult, I know.

I would personally advise to go ahead and have the BBs butchered. Find someone nearby that you can get heritage poults from next spring. Then, you can keep a few for pets and they will also breed and hatch out babies for you...bonus!

Corona~Barb :

Getting back to the original post, I got my first poultry 2 1/2 yrs ago. With the chickens came 6 broad breasted turkeys (son's gf ordered them). I sure didn't know what i was getting into. :) BB turkeys are very personable and friendly. They also outgrow their own skeletons and can break legs and get heart problems. They really aren't bred to keep much beyond the first year. One of my bronze toms broke a leg just standing around in the dog run waiting for butchering. It was heartbreaking. I decided no more BB turkeys.

I now have heritage turkeys. Started with 5 Bourbon Red/Narri crosses and one Blue Slate hen. Last yr, with hatched poults, I had 19 turkeys! I'm down to 9 now in several beautiful colors and need to butcher a few during the holiday season. 7 of them are last yr's poults. I have named them all and really enjoy them. Just can't afford to keep feeding so many as pets. It will be very difficult, I know.

I would personally advise to go ahead and have the BBs butchered. Find someone nearby that you can get heritage poults from next spring. Then, you can keep a few for pets and they will also breed and hatch out babies for you...bonus!

I hope my bourbon reds will hatch babies next year! I am counting on it! I have been spending a lot of time on Porter's trying to decide what I'll get next year. I have been thinking about less chickens and more turkeys. I just really enjoy them.

Since chickenzoo is on here - I will also say that my mom's boyfriend raises emus and the only thing between me and those hatching eggs is my husband
smile.png

chic-n-farmer - you are exactly right! We had a "T-bone" the steer debacle on the farm with my 7 year old step brother a few years ago.

When the lines get blurry between livestock and pet it becomes difficult I think no matter who is involved. Chickenzoo is right - next year I won't be caught off guard!​

Back
Top Bottom