I know what killed my three Bantams/ please read

bantam home

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2016
I had joined the group, originally because my Bantams started dying for no apparent reason. Thanks again for the advice from many of you.I had put my free range bantams up for the winter that is when they got sick. Well it turns out as soon as I set them free they stopped dying. I had too many roosters. I feel certain the more dominate roosters wouldn't allow the smaller ones to eat. I didn't lose a single hen. The owner of a pet store that I frequent had this happen with some rabbits he had. That's when I realized what happened to my sweet Bantams. Please read this if you have had a similar problem. It's not always a sickness or disease. Thanks everyone

Last edited:
In an enclosed coop or pen situation it is always a good idea to provide multiple feed and water stations so that the less dominant birds get to eat. Also hand feeding of scratch grain morning and night helps.

I had joined the group, originally because my Bantams started dying for no apparent reason. Thanks again for the advice from many of you.I had put my free range bantams up for the winter that is when they got sick. Well it turns out as soon as I set them free they stopped dying. I had too many roosters. I feel certain the more dominate roosters wouldn't allow the smaller ones to eat. I didn't lose a single hen. The owner of a pet store that I frequent had this happen with some rabbits he had. That's when I realized what happened to my sweet Bantams. Please read this if you have had a similar problem. It's not always a sickness or disease. Thanks everyone

Sorry to hear that...

Thank you. I wish I had known. I gave them enough food in enough places,in the house that I didn't think this would happen. A lesson learned the hard way. Thanks so much. I miss my lost chickens.

Awww, sorry to hear this.
sad.png
There are times we all don't catch on to something until it is too late. Then we move on and try to learn.

Thank you for sharing this, hopefully it will help someone else.

Thank you. I wish I had known. I gave them enough food in enough places,in the house that I didn't think this would happen. A lesson learned the hard way. Thanks so much. I miss my lost chickens.

I haven't lost any of my girls yet but I came close last summer due to a hawk attack.

Back
Top Bottom