Would you keep an orpington rooster with a bantam?

SG123

Hatching
Oct 24, 2021
Hello!
After a couple of cat attacks (just a neighbour's house cat...) a few months ago, we currently have three hens left - a light Sussex, a Rhode Island Red and a sablepoot bantam. The remaining three get along fairly well and although the sablepoot is firmly at the bottom of the pecking order as you would expect, things are stable and fairly harmonious. I would like to increase the size of the flock and have been planning to get two or three buff Orpingtons, as I have read that these do well with bantams. I would also really like to get a rooster (was thinking of getting one buff orpington rooster as well as the two hens) for flock protection but am worried that 1) ~5 hens would not be enough for one rooster and he would mate too often with each one and 2) He would mate with my sablepoot and injure her.
  • Is a large rooster like an orpington likely to see a small bantam as a hen to mate with or would he more likely just ignore her? She is about the size of a pigeon...
  • Would 4 or 5 hens be enough for one buff orpington rooster?
  • Any alternative suggestions for protection from neighbourhood cats other than a rooster/suggestions for expanding the flock without the sablepoot being bullied too much?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Apologies if this question or similar has been asked before, I am just really unsure about how to proceed and would like some input. Many thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Personally, I would not keep them together as many years ago in my then mixed flock I witnessed my little 6 month old Araucana hen being mated by my big Welsumer rooster.

They were very much in love and although I tried to keep them separated, she would climb any fence like a parrot to get back to and under him. Which sadly ended with her succumbing to a stroke right after having been mated by him for the last time.

Others have never had any issues keeping bantams and large fowl together, so it is something you will have to decide.

Personally, I would not keep them together as many years ago in my then mixed flock I witnessed my little 6 month old Araucana hen being mated by my big Welsumer rooster.

They were very much in love and although I tried to keep them separated, she would climb any fence like a parrot to get back to and under him. Which sadly ended with her succumbing to a stroke right after having been mated by him for the last time.

Others have never had any issues keeping bantams and large fowl together, so it is something you will have to decide.
Thank you for your reply! I think I will just stick with hens then and look into an electric fence to deter the cat.

Hello!
After a couple of cat attacks (just a neighbour's house cat...) a few months ago, we currently have three hens left - a light Sussex, a Rhode Island Red and a sablepoot bantam. The remaining three get along fairly well and although the sablepoot is firmly at the bottom of the pecking order as you would expect, things are stable and fairly harmonious. I would like to increase the size of the flock and have been planning to get two or three buff Orpingtons, as I have read that these do well with bantams. I would also really like to get a rooster (was thinking of getting one buff orpington rooster as well as the two hens) for flock protection but am worried that 1) ~5 hens would not be enough for one rooster and he would mate too often with each one and 2) He would mate with my sablepoot and injure her.
  • Is a large rooster like an orpington likely to see a small bantam as a hen to mate with or would he more likely just ignore her? She is about the size of a pigeon...
  • Would 4 or 5 hens be enough for one buff orpington rooster?
  • Any alternative suggestions for protection from neighbourhood cats other than a rooster/suggestions for expanding the flock without the sablepoot being bullied too much?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Apologies if this question or similar has been asked before, I am just really unsure about how to proceed and would like some input. Many thanks in advance.
Welcome glad you joined!

I'm glad I read your response, as I was contemplating such if any of the full sized "hens" actually are roosters.
After reading this I will stick with keeping 2 of the bantam roosters instead.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom