I Know Who Done It

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissPrissy, Oct 14, 2007.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Every morning there is a lovely brown pullet egg waiting for me in the first nest box in the hen house. I was pretty sure it was either my largest barred rock or one of the RIR because they always nest there in that particular box.

Yesterday morning I went out to milk my goats and went to check the hen house first - you know just in case there was an egg [​IMG]

No egg.

I went out and milked the goats and did some chores and then went back to the hen house. The big RIR was sitting there in the box. I lifted her up to see if she was sitting on an egg. Nope. I put her back and she stayed there. So I filled the feeders, swept down some cobwebs and killed some time. Still she sat. Different hens came up and pecked around my feet and did their pick-me-up song and dance routine. I held a white wyandotte for a minute and then the RIR jumped out the nest box.

And left behind the morning gold. One lovely brown egg.

When I cooked breakfast yesterday I cracked the egg into a clear glass dish and held it up to the the light. It was fertile. The bullseye was there. I don't know who fertilized it though. It could have been anyone of those boys we culled later in the day. I am curious though and I will be watching to see if my big barred rock is fertile.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I love going into the henhouse in the early mornings and finding one of the girls in a nest box...lifting her up and there is that perfect egg...she cackles and sayssssss "Have a fresh egg for breakfast!"

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Congrats! Its always fun to try and figure out just who layed the eggs. I have NO idea whish ones of mine are laying...yet....Other than the phoenix. Her egg is small and whitish...so, thats easy! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by