I let them out today

Heathero617

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Mosheim
I've decided to allow my chickies to freerange while i'm outside and they did wonderfully! I let them out twice today and they stayed nice and close and went right back in when i walked over and into the pen. They followed me in. They looked ever so happy and scratching and pecking and clucking and singing ...lallalalllallaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. The foliage is getting quite high around the pen, this was intentional to keep the kids away from that side since there is barbed wire that the trees have grown around, if there are high weeds, the kids stay out. I'll be sure and let them out for a while again tomorrow. Both of my Bostons went after them once, but they listen well and fell back when i called. The rest of the time they either ignored them or laid in the grass watching. Tho the chickies didn't venture far from the door way, they did get to come out, and search bugs and enjoy some extra sunshine. Heres a picture, although not a great one.

81272_free_ranging_first_time.jpg

That chicken looks like it needs an attitude adjustment. LOL. Wow, never seen any bird look that mad. Didn't think it was even possible.

Congratuations on a great first free-range experience! I love sitting outside watching my 7 pullets wander around, pecking and scratching. It's relaxing.

Quote:
It's their first time...but not mine. But my other expierence ended badly with the neighborhood stray making off with all of them over a 3 month period )O:

Back
Top Bottom