1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I let them out today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heathero617, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I've decided to allow my chickies to freerange while i'm outside and they did wonderfully! I let them out twice today and they stayed nice and close and went right back in when i walked over and into the pen. They followed me in. They looked ever so happy and scratching and pecking and clucking and singing ...lallalalllallaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. The foliage is getting quite high around the pen, this was intentional to keep the kids away from that side since there is barbed wire that the trees have grown around, if there are high weeds, the kids stay out. I'll be sure and let them out for a while again tomorrow. Both of my Bostons went after them once, but they listen well and fell back when i called. The rest of the time they either ignored them or laid in the grass watching. Tho the chickies didn't venture far from the door way, they did get to come out, and search bugs and enjoy some extra sunshine. Heres a picture, although not a great one.

[​IMG]

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    HAHAHAHA that is one mean lookin birdie ya gots there! I'm skeert!

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    That chicken looks like it needs an attitude adjustment. LOL. Wow, never seen any bird look that mad. Didn't think it was even possible.

5. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    She looks like my aunt gertrude........and not in a good way.

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Congratuations on a great first free-range experience! I love sitting outside watching my 7 pullets wander around, pecking and scratching. It's relaxing.

7. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:It's their first time...but not mine. But my other expierence ended badly with the neighborhood stray making off with all of them over a 3 month period )O:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by