I live in Jacksonville NC

I have been told so many different ways to sex these barr rocks, but I am just not getting it at all. I can't really see a color difference in any of them. Their wing feathers are coming in, two look solid black thus far while the others are striped. Three seem to have dark feet, three have large spots on the head. I am so worried that I have five roosters and a hen. That would be my luck :) is anyone good at this? I could post individual pics with more detail. The suspense is getting to me.

Very interesting. My barred rocks were sexed and both of my girls have dark feet. Smokey has a lot less white then bandit too. Her legs are also much darker all over vs bandits speckled legs. I don't think I've ever heard of spots on the heads (but I'm a newbie too)

By the way maple hill friends I heard coyotes out at 3 am and 530 am this morning.

Last edited:
I'm off of haws run and we have a boat load of coyotes here too. They have been getting bold and have come up to the fence to investigate my dog.

I have seen lots of people post pics, I am not sure if any of us here would be able to help you or not though? I am always trying to guess with mine lol. Have you joined the barnyards by the sea group yet? They are always helping each other try to sex the birds so they may be a bit more helpful in that matter? Sorry wish I had more information. BTW did you ever find silkies?

Thank you for the advice. I will look into that. I wasn't looking for silkies, but onslow feed and grain has a chicken swap on the 12th.

According to the paper they gave me, it's at 8am to 1 pm. Their chicks arrive on march 31st at the feed store. You should call them to see if they will special order.

Themoores: I found your silkies today! I was getting a few more females from a nice man in Pink Hills and he has 5 silkies left. They seem to be juveniles. He has some whites and blues if I recall correctly. At any rate, I thought you would like to know so you can hurry and scoop them up if that's what you want. His name is Ray, (910) 289-0456. This guy basically has everything and anything anyone could be looking for. Mapquest put pink hills at an hour long drive, but I made it there in about 25 minutes and I am not a speeder. I swear it was only about 15 minutes from the onslow grain and feed.

Back
Top Bottom