I lost my first patient today. Bummer

Vanderfelt

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 12, 2009
Cromwell -ish, Indiana.
I lost my first little guy on the operating table today. One of my three week old Cornish X. He had a severely impacted crop, he had very labored breathing, his eyes were fluttering, he couldn't focus, wouldn't stand up. His wee little chubby legs were sticking straight out in front of him, he just laid there on his side.

I tried olive oil, I tried massage, he just seemed to get worse. I made the executive decision to open him up. I want to thank the people that posted the "how- to" on the surgery. It went well at first, no blood, no distress. He just went to sleep and didn't wake up. I feel awful. I know he is a meat bird, and I should be ready for them to pass... but my dumplings are the only ones I have that are nice to me! The rest of the chickens treat me like I am Godzilla. I miss my little guy.
Thanks for listening.

Ohhh, I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

We also have broilers cornish X. We were told to give your chicks commercial chick starter with a coccidiostat in it. Broilers do best if you feed them a 20 to 22% protein feed. Do not push them the first 3 to 4 weeks. FOR BROILERS. Restrict access to feed (after first two days) to 10 hours per day for the first four weeks. Be sure that all chicks have adequate feeder space so that most of the chicks can eat at the same time. Slowing a broilers growth at the very beginning so that heart and lung size matches musle (meat) development is very essential. NEVER feed drastically lower protein rations or grain only rations as this can cause severe and permanent leg or joint problems. Feed broilers in the morning and evening but DO NOT keep feed in front of them at all time. Heart attacks will claim broilers if you leave food in front of them all the time. This is very common in birds that are 5 -6 weeks old and have had constant feed as their hearts will not be able to stand the stress of fast weight gain.

I feed them starter/grower feed in the evenings when they go on lock down, all day they get to wander a fenced in half acre with occasional treats and lots of petting and lots of fresh water to be had.

I put them in by hand at night so I pick each one up and check him out, make sure no boo-boos or yucky butts. This little guy just pigged out, I am hoping it was an isolated occurance, I have never had a problem with any of my other chickies.

I am still really bummed and was second guessing myself, if I had just left him alone would it have worked out? But the image of my little dumplin' gasping for air because that thing was so BIG.....

Back
Top Bottom