I lost my flock today. What kind of predator?

Late morning/afternoon. Fine in the morning, by 2pm when I got home -gone

The two survivors are in the garage right now until I can get it cleaned up out there. They do have a safe covered run but they like to go out in the grass in the daytime in the fenced area. Definitely building the survivors a big predator proof structure.

My 12yo is absolutely devastated. They were her babies.

Late morning/afternoon. Fine in the morning, by 2pm when I got home -gone

The two survivors are in the garage right now until I can get it cleaned up out there. They do have a safe covered run but they like to go out in the grass in the daytime in the fenced area. Definitely building the survivors a big predator proof structure.

My 12yo is absolutely devastated. They were her babies.

DEFINITELY sounds like dogs! They're the only ones that would be marauding on that scale in the middle of the day. And I would definitely set up a camera. One of your neighbors needs a visit!

I genuinely feel for your daughter. I've been in her shoes. When I was about her age, we moved to my dream house - acreage in the middle of nowhere, where my menagerie could grow as far as my time - and my father's patience - would allow. On the very first night we were there, my new neighbor's dogs destroyed my wooden rabbit hutch and killed everything - including a doe that was pulling fur for her babies, which were due that night. The only bunnies left were the babies that were still in the garage.

Remembering how much that hurt, I'd like to help her out, if I can. Are you anywhere near Maryland/Delaware? I have some very nice young bantams I am willing to give her to start over again.

So sorry! It could have been dogs, or a fox, or a weasel. Not a raptor.
You might be able to see puncture wounds from canine teeth, and photograph and measure the distance between. It helps gauge the size of the predators involved.
Can you set up live traps? A game camera? Someone with a gun and a safe line of fire to the run? your predator is likely to return, soon.
We lost ten nice laying hens one afternoon a few years ago, to a fox. I visited all the neighbors, and everyone I knew who had chickens within 1/2 mile of us, and one of those neighbors was able to get him the following week.
Good luck!
Keep your survivors in a totally safe place until you rebuild, and hopefully this predator is no more.
Mary

That is so sad. :hitIt probably wasn't hawks or eagles. I agree that it sounds kind of like dogs or something similar (like raccoons).

Could it be human? Heard of this happening before
Definite signs of struggle, feathers everywhere. My enforcer hen made a last stand and fought. (She has fought off a hawk and a small dog before). She was the only bloody one, probably because she fought back so hard. I am in northern Vermont and not going to totally start over until I have more secure pens for them. We’ve had them in the yard like this for 2 years now.

Back
Top Bottom