I lost two chicks:( Please help!

Texane

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
I purchased 12 chicks 2 weeks ago... From a feed store that I don't think I would visit again!

I don't know how old they are now but they seem to have pretty much all their feathers and they can fly ( oh yesss)!!

For the first week, they were in my garage ( I live in Houston) in boxes, then I moved them in a dog grate with cardboard wall ( because they could escape)... but I realized they were able to fly and get stuck in the holes ( I lost a chick and I think this is what happened)..

So we moved them in the coop outside yesterday . The coop has a covered area.

Earlier today, it was pouring rain, so I checked on them to see if they were inside and they were not at all. I didn't know if this was too cold for them being wet and I felt bad to see them all wet so I moved them in the garage in a big box.. and one of them died again..

Is it okay for the chicks to be out in the rain. I'm not sure how old they are and it's usually pretty warm down here. Am I doing something wrong?..

Thanks for your help!

I'm sorry for your losses.It kinda depends how old they are to be out in the rain. 8 weeks is usually when they can go outside. My chickens when they were chicks used to stay outside during the whole storm but eventually learned to go inside. Also from what I observed about raising my chicks was at the age of 2 weeks there wings were fully feathered or almost feathered if that helps you figure out how old they were when you bought them.

I live in the DFW area.Mine were fully feathered by 6 weeks. They actually moved to the coop at just over 4 weeks old in April(50 f at night). My coop is small and as soon as it is light they come out rain or shine. They do stay primarily under the coop(about 18 inches off the ground) when it is raining. I guess it would be possible if not fully feathered one got chilled from the rain but with the temps where they are I kind of doubt it. Might want to add ACV or vitamins to their water. Are they showing any other symptoms? Runny noses or droopy, blood in droppings? And Welcome to
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom