I love me a leghorn!

009.JPG

Thank you..I love a good mama. You want to see a not so cute picture..kind of funny? Here is the leghorn mix that just went broody. Oh yeah, I think she would make a great mom! lol A very protective one!
20170519_175739.jpg

Here she is all puffed up, as she was in a nest box .. I now have her in a place I've had my broodies.

20170519_175703.jpg

You know what...she may just be going into a broody mode. I had one leghorn go broody..only one after all of these yrs. She was great. Is she just laying in there for a while. I just had a leghorn/EE mix go broody. She would go in, lay for a while..on an egg she had laid. Then out finally. She did this for a few days. Also a SG that would go in, and out, no egg. Both are broody for now. Just watch your girl. If she is still eating and drinking, not just sitting all alone, or puffed up and not eating and drinking, then there is something going on. A month is quite a while....hmmm...
View attachment 554560 Here is a photo of my mama leghorn. Great mom!
She doesn't seem like she's Broody, no aggressive behavior or puffing up. She doesn't go there for long. One more curious behavior trait is that when I go inside to try to pet her she squats like all my laying hens, yet no eggs abound. Now I don't mind at all that she might be resting for a while, just worry that she might be sick. But I will take your suggestion and pay closer attention, thank you so much for your reply.

I love the way leghorns look, but I'm not sure that I'd have one. My worry is about those big pretty beret-like combs that they have in out cold winters. I don't like seeing frostbitten birdies. It can't be pleasant for them.

Back
Top Bottom