I made a home made feeder - Cost around 7 bucks :)

I'm gonna make the waterer this weekend! I have 5 gallon water jug and the bucket. Do I have to drill additional holes in the neck of 5 gal water jug? I used a dremel (spelling) tool to cut the slits in my trash can feeder I made a couple of weeks ago. My chickens aren't gonna know what to do, first they got the automatic trash can feeder, then I added on to their coop and run last week and now an automatic waterer, WOW! The BEST part of all this is I haven't spent one penny on any of it! Added on to the coop using pallets, plywood and 2x4's that were given to me and the fence and the posts for the rum was also given to me. The other I just had laying around the house!

I LOVE MY CHICKENS!!!!!

With my needs being so urgent for a larger waterer I gave up on making some when I caught these 3 1/2 Gal waters for only $14.97 at Tractor Supply. I previously had two 1 gal waters so after buying two new ones, this will give me 7 gal fresh water rather than just 2 gal. I hope these will give me a little freedom if I just can't make it to the hen house for 24 hours then they will be ok. These hang from the ceiling or can sit on blocks. Hard to beat this price

33744_0227001348.jpg

what about screwing or glueing the tines of the bottom that are sticking up to the trash can. it might bend the bottom up enough to keep stuff from coming out. It might also limit their ability to move around in it with their beaks

Quote:
Wow... that is a great idea..! I would have left them a little longer though so they would reach. If I do this again I will see how that looks.... thanks.

I did adjust the holes that allow the feed to come out into the tray by applying some duct taping to the holes....which helped alot to
smile.png

I live where it gets close to 0 degrees and sometimes below I made a water heater out of a tin oil drain pan.I mounted a 100 watt bulb through the side and mounted the pan upside down to a 15" tire I set the steel waterer on the pan it works very good. and also I made a feeder out of a 55 gallon drum setting on blocks I used stainless steel inside to direct the feed to a 2" PVC with a slice about 6" long at the base and that I have going into a feeder it will hold up tp 250 lbs of feed haven't had a problem with eather one and been using for over a year cost was about $40.00 not counting the waterer

Back
Top Bottom