I made a home made feeder - Cost around 7 bucks :)

I'm cetain I need a better designed bottom. I'm really seeing alot of food on the floor
sad.png

Anyone have a suggestion for a new bottom for this or a solution for adapting this one?

BackYardChickenRancher suggested a new oil pan a few pages back. Maybe with the higher lip that would help. Also, I think if you tried getting the bar with the eye at one end and the threads at the other (I think you should be able to get a fairly long one) and put a small hole up through your lid (for the hanging cable to run through) and actually put the weight of the feeder onto the oil pan (fairly heavy duty plastic) that would mean you could hang it. I do think that makes a difference with standard sized chickens. Not that they don't try but since it swings out from under them they are less able to create spillage. Just seconding the suggestions from BackYardChickenRancher.

What about tacking hardware cloth to the bottom of the trash can (on the inside) the feed will come through it just not so freely.

Also, why didnt you leave the clothes basket in tac? They can stick their heads through but not get their whole body in there to scratch around. head in, eat what you want, no scratching it out and it should work. What do you think

Quote:
I could limit the flow without two much trouble but I think i need something to make it a hard for food to get out of that bottom tray.

Two reasons I didn't leave the clothe basket tall. First my space is limited and second I was afraid of them making it a spot to roost or just sit there during the day and dropping would end up in the food.

Last edited:
Mike, I've seen a design where a hubcap was used as the pan. The "lips" of the hubcap that holds it to the wheel along with the structural flange around the edge helps keep down the billing out of the feed. Only thing is finding one big enough for that garbage can.

You could to cut a square piece of plywood big enough for a "pan". Then rip a 2x4 length-wise with a 45* angle. Cut the two halves of the 2x4 to the correct lengths to build the edges of the pan and attach them with the angled edge (mitered corners) facing inward. The 45* angle should inhibit the chickens' ability to bill out the feed. Just a thought.

Best wishes,
Ed

What about putting the whole feeder into another shallow base? Then the feed they scratch out will end up in that bottom and you can just pour it back in? I know it raises the cost but the money saved in feed eventually pays for it.
I really like the black shallow rubber "tubs" I get them at the feed store for about ten dollars and I will put waterers inside it (raised up on bricks or whatever works) so that the pine shavings don't get wet if the waterer leaks for some reason.
I have used the same container for feed. What they scratch out of the feeder falls into the black tub and then they stick their head in the tub and eat. You can use them for alot of different things and they are great for all the veggie scraps and extra food that you want to treat them with.

Back
Top Bottom