I made a home made feeder - Cost around 7 bucks :)

thumbsup.gif

This question is probably most obvious to people with more experience than I , but what tool did you use to make the slits in the bottom of the trash can? Does it saw easily and did you have difficulty with the plastic shredding? Also, what size are your slits? I would think that you need to have to leave pretty hefty "legs" in between slits in order to hold the weight of the grain inside pushing outward.

It looks like a great design and I am sorely tempted to try it!

The slit in the bottom of the trash can was cut with a "belt knife" or some call it a "carpet knife". I cut it about 1"tall by about 3" long... then left a space of about 1 1/2" inches. Then I made another 1" x 3" slit again leaving about 1 1/2" between each untill I made it all the way around the trash can. If you try this make sure you cut as close to the bottom as possible to avoid any lip to obstruct the feed from flow.

Hey guys, I have seen a type of homemade water. You use one of the 5 gallon water jugs that you get for drinking water out of the machine. drill a couple of holes in the neck of it and place it upside down in a 5 gallon bucket that you have drilled several holes in the sides near the base.( MAKE SURE the water jug fits tight in the bucket as it will need to seal so the air will not be allowed in. you should just a bucket that is shorter than your jug so you can better get them apart ) Place this in a larger feed pan. you need to make sure that the sides are taller than the holes you drilled in the bucket. If you set it up right you will have the neck if the bottle setting near or on the bottom of the bucket with the holes letting in the air when needed just like the ones you buy. Have fun.

My response to why a lot of feed still falls to the ground..............as far as my observations, most birds make a mess when they eat, wild-birds at birdfeeders included.
The chickens seem to like their feed on the ground just like the scratch food that is fed to them. In the pen with standard size birds, the handing feeder seems to cause less spillage. I think that is because it swings if they try to push the food back and forth. But in the area with six bantam chicks the hanging feeder needs a big tray underneath to collect all the feed that they spill out. Those guys are just careless and don't worry about the cost !

Very Ingenious!!! Kudos to You! Even tho some may have to "tweak" your plan here, it is a wonderful idea. That brain of yours is priceless.

Oooooh I definitely like this one. I like the idea of a homemade bucket feeder, but finding a plain white bucket is another story. This one looks great, the price is right, and if it "fails" over time it is inexpensive to replace or replicate! Thanks for the great idea!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom