I made a horrible judgment call! Do I continue the Hatch?

Do I hatch?

• Yes! Continue its not the chicks fault.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No. Don't hatch chicks that you will have a hard time rehoming.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't understand why you are so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water. Yes the seller was deceitful in the representation of his stock but that does not mean that they aren't decent quality. Show quality birds don't reproduce show quality birds 100% of the time. They cull hard and might only have 10% keepers. You don't have an eye yet for day old chicks. You should keep all of them. Grow them out to 6 months then make your first cut. You should know by then what you've got and if it's a decent starting point.

In this case it's not a matter of quality of breed, but a matter of breed period. She thought she was investing in a certain breed, not only is it not the breed advertised, but apparently looking like crosses. Nothing wrong with finding them homes if she has buyers.

In this case it's not a matter of quality of breed, but a matter of breed period. She thought she was investing in a certain breed, not only is it not the breed advertised, but apparently looking like crosses. Nothing wrong with finding them homes if she has buyers.

Agreed

Thank you eggbert420 & amylynn2374 for standing up for me. I don't understand why people think I'm awful for finding homes for them. I'm just a year in to chicken ownership and I'm still learning the ropes. I don't understand why my thinking about possibly just stopping the incubation caught such criticism when on BYC if you inquire about how to cull chicks (mainly roosters ) people post " cut heads off with scissors " " give them a quick squeeze " " euthanize with carberator fluid in a sealed container ". MY choice of finding homes for chicks that doesn't fit in with my poultry plan and I'm made to feel cruel! At least they are alive and have nice homes to go to. My DH doesn't want to build a seperate coop for mixed breed birds. We downsized our flock so we could concentrate on pure breeds and we decided to focus on Japanese and Seramas.
from now on I will be real careful to post on here. I deal with enough in the real world that I don't need to be bashed here because I found homes for some adorable chicks instead of culling them.

Again Thank you eggbert 420 and Amylynn2374 for coming to my aid and making a point of understanding my position.

when i read it it sounded like you were going to turn the bator off mid-incubation
hide.gif

i see no problem with finding homes for unwanted birds, i do it all the time

Thank you eggbert420 & amylynn2374 for standing up for me. I don't understand why people think I'm awful for finding homes for them. I'm just a year in to chicken ownership and I'm still learning the ropes. I don't understand why my thinking about possibly just stopping the incubation caught such criticism when on BYC if you inquire about how to cull chicks (mainly roosters ) people post " cut heads off with scissors " " give them a quick squeeze " " euthanize with carberator fluid in a sealed container ". MY choice of finding homes for chicks that doesn't fit in with my poultry plan and I'm made to feel cruel! At least they are alive and have nice homes to go to. My DH doesn't want to build a seperate coop for mixed breed birds. We downsized our flock so we could concentrate on pure breeds and we decided to focus on Japanese and Seramas.
from now on I will be real careful to post on here. I deal with enough in the real world that I don't need to be bashed here because I found homes for some adorable chicks instead of culling them.

Again Thank you eggbert 420 and Amylynn2374 for coming to my aid and making a point of understanding my position.

Bantu I have no problem with your first idea of unplugging the 8 day eggs. Most backyard chicken owners only have room for so many chickens in their yard. If you want a specific breed then you don't have to hatch chicks you might not be able to keep. There is no guarantee you can find homes for them and giving chicks away at Easter time is a recipe for disaster for the chick. I agree people here talk easily about culling birds, so why not feed a wild animal with an unwanted egg. I've seen crows carry eggs way from when my chickens have layed them in the yard.Now if it had been day 18 maybe you should let it hatch, but on day eight it was easy enough to feed nature. Call me cruel people but this is not a human baby.

Just saw this and thought I'd let you know a little trick I learned... In Chrome you can hold your mouse over a picture and press the right key, then click on "search Google for this image". Plenty of people on craigslist and ebay don't use their own photos, and this is a great way to check.

Try it on this picture:

These are what they look like... Sorry the photos are bad. I had to go way down on MP to load them. Several people I know are already in love with them so they'll be going to new homes in a few days. I'm keeping these two, Mama's first babies.
Might try for Serama in the near future. Still have 5 to hatch so we'll see.

Thank you all for the support. DH and I don't see eye to eye on mixed breeds especially chickens.
I think these are the cutest chicks I've hatched. Pullet or cockerel they're staying.
They are cute.
love.gif

oh PLEASE...keep the hatch going...you might be surprised with what you get!!! doent give up on them...someoone will take them if you dont want them I would take them!!! thanks1 for keeping the hatch going!!!

Thank you eggbert420 & amylynn2374 for standing up for me. I don't understand why people think I'm awful for finding homes for them. I'm just a year in to chicken ownership and I'm still learning the ropes. I don't understand why my thinking about possibly just stopping the incubation caught such criticism when on BYC if you inquire about how to cull chicks (mainly roosters ) people post " cut heads off with scissors " " give them a quick squeeze " " euthanize with carberator fluid in a sealed container ". MY choice of finding homes for chicks that doesn't fit in with my poultry plan and I'm made to feel cruel! At least they are alive and have nice homes to go to. My DH doesn't want to build a seperate coop for mixed breed birds. We downsized our flock so we could concentrate on pure breeds and we decided to focus on Japanese and Seramas. from now on I will be real careful to post on here. I deal with enough in the real world that I don't need to be bashed here because I found homes for some adorable chicks instead of culling them. Again Thank you eggbert 420 and Amylynn2374 for coming to my aid and making a point of understanding my position.
I think it's great you gave them a chance. Many people aren't concerned about pures and love mixes. The majority of my standard flock are barnyard mixes and they are great birds. You bought something falsely advertised, not your fault, there's no reason to expect your intentions to change, so the most responsible outcome is to find homes. No one should criticize that decision. At least you gave them a chance, and are probably making some people who want them very happy in the process.
Bantu I have no problem with your first idea of unplugging the 8 day eggs. Most backyard chicken owners only have room for so many chickens in their yard. If you want a specific breed then you don't have to hatch chicks you might not be able to keep. There is no guarantee you can find homes for them and giving chicks away at Easter time is a recipe for disaster for the chick. I agree people here talk easily about culling birds, so why not feed a wild animal with an unwanted egg. I've seen crows carry eggs way from when my chickens have layed them in the yard.Now if it had been day 18 maybe you should let it hatch, but on day eight it was easy enough to feed nature. Call me cruel people but this is not a human baby.
I don't care what form of life it is. There's no reason to end a started life out of pure convenience. Especially not when there are people willing to take them. I don't believe in culling (killing cull) birds for non health related issues either. Because a bird isn't SOP or high enough quality. I understand culling from breeding programs, or culling from your flock because you can't use the birds. I even understand processing non standard birds for food purposes. But I think it's rotten to kill an animal and discard it solely because the color wasn't good enough, or the traits weren't good enough. Now, as a means of being humane and putting an animal out of it's misery, to keep it from suffering, yes, as hard as it is, I think it's the right thing to do. I, personally, will give it a chance, if it has one, before making that decision.
Finding a home for any creature, is nothing to be ashamed of. Some people just don't have common sense.
Amen.
Just saw this and thought I'd let you know a little trick I learned... In Chrome you can hold your mouse over a picture and press the right key, then click on "search Google for this image". Plenty of people on craigslist and ebay don't use their own photos, and this is a great way to check. Try it on this picture:
That's an awesome tip! It's sad how deceptive people can be.

Back
Top Bottom