I made a mistake...Will it harm my chicks?

Apr 30, 2018
Tooele, UT
Hi all,

I am a newbie with my first batch of chicks...they are 2 1/2 weeks old and are growing exponentially!

This was my discovery/mistake I noticed today...

I purchased a 50 lb bag of DuMor Chick 24% Chick Starter and they have been on it since I received them from MyPetChicken on March 27th...I also purchased a 50 lb bag of DuMor Chick 20% Chick Starter/Grower for when they get to be about 6 weeks old.

I did not notice on the back of the 24% Chick Starter that it is only for other fowl, i.e. quail, pheasant, chukar, and turkey, starting from day one. On the other bag...starter/grower 20% it states it can be provided to baby chicks from day one.

They are all healthy and growing but they have been on 24% since I got them from the post office. Will the 24% chick starter harm them/hurt them? Should I immediately remove it and put out the 20%? What can happen if they are receiving the overage of protein 24% vs. 20%?

Thanks for any input...

I love this place...and love how I can be easily duped! It pays to read the entire response...(calming my heart down!) Thank you!
Don’t worry, I am sure that anyone that gives their chicks meal worms as treats ups their protein a couple percent. I think I started giving my little chicks meal worms when they were about three weeks old or so.

Don’t worry, I am sure that anyone that gives their chicks meal worms as treats ups their protein a couple percent. I think I started giving my little chicks meal worms when they were about three weeks old or so.
Haven't given them mealworms yet but have given dirt & grass clogs, boiled chopped up eggs and strawberries ALL with the wonderful accompaniment of chick grit...HooRaw!

Blending will be good. 24% isn't going to hurt them at all...they will grow faster but I wouldn't want to keep'em on it for too long.
The main difference besides the % protien is the 24% contains a higher percentage of Lysine and Methionine than the 20% protein ration. Gamebirds require a higher percentage than chickens.

Blending will be good. 24% isn't going to hurt them at all...they will grow faster but I wouldn't want to keep'em on it for too long.
The main difference besides the % protien is the 24% contains a higher percentage of Lysine and Methionine than the 20% protein ration. Gamebirds require a higher percentage than chickens.
Good to know...makes sense...Yes, I will be blending them and moving the chicks off of the 24% towards straight 20%.

Back
Top Bottom