I made a scale model of my Hobbit-Themed Chicken Coop

KatieSwindler

Chirping
Sep 21, 2021
Just sharing this scale prototype I made of my future hobbit-themed chicken coop - my husband and I start building this weekend! Let me know what you think so far!

61EE4E23-7CBA-4AC5-9A75-992790088072.jpeg

The coop will be 5’ x 5’ and about 7’ tall at the peak. The run is about 10x10.
There will be two doors on the coop - one on each side to allow access to the run since it’s built into the corner of our small, fenced yard. It will have hardware cloth all around and a predator apron off the front.

2274F664-7D9A-4C2F-AC07-20B2D2D8A1C8.jpeg

The coop has a 5 foot roosting bar and 2 nesting boxes accessible from a secret compartment in the round hobbit “door”.

7F51A50D-4DD6-4ACC-9C63-74767B0A817A.jpeg

96EC6037-BBCB-4A13-B7A2-2D7D1197231D.jpeg
We plan to start with 3-4 chickens in the spring but built the coop to handle up to 6. We can’t really do free range as we are in the city so the girls will spend most of their time in the coop/run so we made it plenty big. this is a very big project for us and I’m excited to get started!

I included some silly cut outs of my husband and I for scale. LOL

020103E5-16F5-46B5-A035-0C6FC6DB6486.jpeg

We’re in Chicago and have a very small shady yard. Here’s a picture of
the actual location of where it will go.

EFB598B0-C40C-4DD4-9C31-B8548CB8B560.jpeg

We built a full scale prototype as well out of scrap wood a couple weeks ago to test our sizing since it’s such a tight fit.

A45C66CA-B1C4-4DDD-BA90-C0A9B2D4BCAA.jpeg
We just installed the predator apron, stone retaining wall and leveled out the dirt today.

CC9224A7-5EEF-40E8-8451-C668A62AB3C9.jpeg

Now it’s time to start building!! Let me know what you think!

Even more in progress photos and video being shared as we go on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rounddoorstudio/

Last edited:
I so love it when people are creative and yet keep the functionality! Great job. It is also awesome to see you guys really thinking it out, space wise. I too have a tiny city yard and had to really plan out the space.

I don't know why the previous poster thought it would be too small. Yeah, the coop is just at the minimum 4 sq ft per hen if you have six hens, but a 10x10 covered and predator-proofed run should make up for that even in your snowy winters.

I see you are building around a nice shade tree. I take it the run will go all the way back to the privacy fence?

I so love it when people are creative and yet keep the functionality! Great job. It is also awesome to see you guys really thinking it out, space wise. I too have a tiny city yard and had to really plan out the space.

I don't know why the previous poster thought it would be too small. Yeah, the coop is just at the minimum 4 sq ft per hen if you have six hens, but a 10x10 covered and predator-proofed run should make up for that even in your snowy winters.

I see you are building around a nice shade tree. I take it the run will go all the way back to the privacy fence?
I said too small because they plan to "start with" 3-4.

ETA: I started with 4 in a larger coop and run. It felt small, even in our much milder climate. I now have 12, and even though my coop and run are much larger, it still feels cramped at times, especially in inclement weather when I can't let them out into the chicken pasture. Chicken math is REAL.

And you make the greatest miniatures. Like, seriously. You even put little eggies in the little nests. It's not just "great," it's darn near magical. Much respect, friend.

Last edited:
I said too small because they plan to "start with" 3-4.
That's why I made sure to note that 3-4 would be fine - which means that OP, if you're hoping to add more in the future, you're looking at a max of 5-6 standard birds. So keep that in mind with this build if you're thinking that you may want to grow the flock in the future.

That's why I made sure to note that 3-4 would be fine - which means that OP, if you're hoping to add more in the future, you're looking at a max of 5-6 standard birds. So keep that in mind with this build if you're thinking that you may want to grow the flock in the future.
Exactly. The other poster was questioning my reasoning. I agree with you completely.

Come to think of it, I pretty much always agree with you, @rosemarythyme!

OP said she planned for starting with 3-4 and maybe "up to 6" total in the future. As far as chicken math, us city folk have to deal with the local regs. I am only allowed up to up to 6 hens in Los Angeles, and I figured she was dealing with similar in Chicago, since she said it was a small city lot.

Aunt Angus, I was only questioning your reasoning because I thought you said it would be too small for the 6 hens the OP said they built it for.

OP said she planned for starting with 3-4 and maybe "up to 6" total in the future. As far as chicken math, us city folk have to deal with the local regs. I am only allowed up to up to 6 hens in Los Angeles, and I figured she was dealing with similar in Chicago, since she said it was a small city lot.

Aunt Angus, I was only questioning your reasoning because I thought you said it would be too small for the 6 hens the OP said they built it for.
I do think it's a lil on the small side for 6. But that's just personal preference. I'm sure it'll be fine as long as they don't go crazy with the chicken math.

Ugh I missed the 6, kept staring at the photos as I scrolled up and down to make the comments. Good catch. It should be suitable for up to 6, especially if the run can be wind protected a bit in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom