I made hanging baby chick feeder/waterer

is that a doggie play pen, I have one of those, why didn't I think of that, I've used it for everything else, what do you have wrapped around the bottom so they don't escape

It is a doggy play pen. We recently moved and we still have lots of cardboard boxes. I cut and folded the boxes to fit inside the pen. So far it is keeping them inside and it's high enough that they can't fly out (yet). I had most of this stuff just laying around the house.
cool.png

Great idea.
thumbsup.gif
The only problem you may have is when the hook that is screwed into the plastic bottle loosens it may allow air into the bottle while it is hanging. Air into the bottle will allow the water to run out and over the water tray. A quick fix would be a dab of silicone to seal it. But a great idea it is. My new chicks will be here 4-4-11. I will look into adapting such for my water bottle.

Great idea. The only problem you may have is when the hook that is screwed into the plastic bottle loosens it may allow air into the bottle while it is hanging. Air into the bottle will allow the water to run out and over the water tray. A quick fix would be a dab of silicone to seal it. But a great idea it is. My new chicks will be here 4-4-11. I will look into adapting such for my water bottle.

I didn't think of the water running out if there is a leak. I do have a tube of silicone left over from an aquarium repair. Thanks and good luck on your new babies arriving in April
yippiechickie.gif

That was going to be my question....if you put silicone around the screwed in piece....I think that's a pretty good Idea.....I think I will try that too....
thumbsup.gif

Fabulous idea ... I'm going to have to get a smaller waterer for the next batch of babies anyway ... I had used a large one with the last batch and it took up too much room in the brooder cage. I have a Petsmart dog cage that I had thought of using but hadn't figured out how to keep the wee fluffy butts from going through but cardboard is a great idea. I love BYC too just because people like you are so creative and willing to share.

Back
Top Bottom