i made my own humidity pad for my r-com 20!

fallenweeble

Songster
12 Years
Dec 4, 2007
so let me begin by sayin' that i love my r-com. it is PERFECT for dum dums like me who can't boil water or make ice cubes.
but . . .
the humidity pad #$! (rhymes with tux).
sure, i didn't take good care of it - i didn't boil it immediately after the last hatch like i was supposed to . . . i'm a bad r-com owner - what can i say?
(but they should know that dum dums like me can't be bothered with such things.)
anywhoo, i put some eggs in the bator last week and guess what? the humidity wouldn't hold! eeeeek. so i was trying all sorts of things to keep the humidity up and steady and it wasn't going so well. finally i got on line to order some more r-com humidity pads and found that they cost TWELVE BUCKS a shot! now, i'm not that cheap in general but that seems really high for a little sponge with some holes in it - am i right?
so i took a new kitchen sponge, cut it down to fit into the bator and sliced it so that its thickness matched that of the r-com sponge. then i took a regular hole punch and punched a grid of holes into the sponge in the same formation that the "official" r-com humidity pad has.
i put my creation into the bator and 24 hours later the humidity is still holding at EXACTLY the level i programed!!!
woo-hoo!
if my home-made humidity pad lasts until my chicks hatch that means: 1. i saved tweve bucks. 2. i can make a new pad for each hatch and just throw them out after one use which is more sanitary!
(oh, just fyi, no eggs were harmed in the making of this humidity pad - they were transfered into the backup bator - my humble but functional LG - before any spongy shenanigans took place!)

That was what I didn't like about the r-com when I had mine. But I see the new ones out now don't have the old style humidity pads they redesigned them from what I'm reading. Great Job just think of the money everyone can save by making their own now.

Back
Top Bottom