i may be getting ducks anything i need to know

[email protected]

Songster
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
Is there anything to do differently with ducks than chickens besides having a pool. I may be getting 2. Will they fly away like wild ducks or stay in a pen? Please let me know before i get them i plan to get them next month or earlier

What kind of ducks are you getting? Only Mallards and Muscovies can fly.

If you are getting ducklings, do not feed them medicated starter. Ducklings also need extra niacin, so either crush up niacin tablets and put it in their water, or feed them brewer's yeast. They also do well when given a mixture of plain yogurt, plain Cheerios, and spinach.

Ducklings don't need as much heat as chicks do either.

Quote:
Not true.....as long as the only "medication" is amprol or amprolium it is fine to feed them. I raise all my call ducklings on Purina medicated Start & Grow.

They need deep enough drinking water to submerge their whole head in. If they have feed available to them they must have water too.

Well not really, I find them to be much hardier than chickens! Only bantam ducks really fly (and muscovy) so unless you are getting Call ducks for example I wouldn't worry. My dcuks get a specific duck food, made for ducks, also fruit and vege and of course mealworms and crickets, and whatever they find on the lake. If you have a small pond they will foul it up real quick, so very regular water changes is a must. I would try to have seperate water for my chooks. Well that's just me! what breed are you getting?

I am right there with you. Have chickens and can't resist the duckies!!!
droolin.gif
Getting some in the next month too. Around Easter. I am trying to learn as much as possible before then so I am very interested in this thread. I am going to be checking frequently here. Info, info and MORE info!!
lol.png

i dont know what kind it will be because my local feed store is getting them and i was wanting a few. should they be kept in a seperate pen than chickens or can i house them together?

[email protected] :

i dont know what kind it will be because my local feed store is getting them and i was wanting a few. should they be kept in a seperate pen than chickens or can i house them together?

I would keep them seperate at least to ensure they are all healthy and will not infect your chickens. I keep my ducks and chickens seperate.​

Back
Top Bottom