I may be growing my own food for the chickens after all, due to genetic editing

Shouldn't that be 1/4 pound per hen per day, not 1/4 cup per hen peer day.
I should have labeled better.
A 1/4 cup of soybean meal per day; not a 1/4 cup of feed per day.

Yes, a 1/4 pound of feed per day is a good rule of thumb for this type of figuring.

At least, I think I got that right, please keep saying something when something looks off.

Last edited:
Harvesting and drying duckweed

It has about 5% dry matter so realize it takes about 100 pounds of it to get 1 pound of duckweed dry enough to store without molding.

How to harvest duckweed
Take 1/4 to 1/3 of the total surface area of the duckweed patch per harvest
  • Allow it to go through a full growth cycle before harvesting it again. During the growing season, this can take 2 or 3 days or 3 or 4 weeks

How to dry and store duckweed
  • Expect one to two days to dry in reasonably warm, dry weather

Math of the amount to store for my flock
1/4 of the total feed
1/4 pound total feed per hen per day.
X 4 hens
= 1/4 pound per day
If feeding it all year: about 100 pounds
If feeding it for the winter only: about 50 pounds

100 pounds of fresh duckweed fills not more than 5 five-gallon pails.

100 pounds of dried duckweed takes 10,000 pounds of fresh duckweed.

I don't think I am physically able to harvest that much in one summer. Probably not 5,000 pounds either. Even if the pond would produce that much and the weather cooperated enough to get it dried.

I'd still like try it but I want another possible source of MET. Alewives are one other source but they vary a lot from year to year.

I tried looking at what vegan websites say about MET.

https://vegfaqs.com/vegan-food-sources-methionine/

This website sorts sources of MET by serving and by calorie as well as by weight. It is servings for people but still helpful.

Six sources stand out when sorted by serving:
Vital wheat gluten
Brazil nut
Spinach
Hemp seeds
Sesame seeds
Sunflower seeds
Oats

I'm not sure what vital wheat gluten is but probably I probably can't process it out of the wheat. Oh, It is just wheat flour and water kneaded then the starch rinsed out. More possible than I realized but not very practical, even for only four hens.

The others warrant more consideration. Later, when I have time again.

I'm not sure what vital wheat gluten is but probably I probably can't process it out of the wheat. Oh, It is just wheat flour and water kneaded then the starch rinsed out. More possible than I realized but not very practical, even for only four hens.
You can buy it in the baking aisle in some stores, or in health food stores. Not cheap, but how much do you need? I don't recall what I paid for about 6 oz. Then I found out I'm gluten intolerant.:rolleyes:

It's used as a dough conditioner.

You can buy it in the baking aisle in some stores, or in health food stores. Not cheap, but how much do you need? I don't recall what I paid for about 6 oz. Then I found out I'm gluten intolerant.:rolleyes:

It's used as a dough conditioner.
Lol, I bought some last month to try getting my bread less crumbly for sandwiches to take to work. This market might sell it in large quantities.

It doesn't solve the original purpose of the thread. But it could work as a fall back through the learning process.

Oh. My eyes aren't good enough to read the ingredients directly. When I enlarged the picture - 😳 - This is a different kind of dough conditioner. This has dextrose, soy flour, ...

Attachments

• B8D4481B-000B-4AF2-B9EF-626D18049D6D.jpeg
    B8D4481B-000B-4AF2-B9EF-626D18049D6D.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
This is simply not true.
Maybe I should have said ‘contains poison’. For me a statement similar to poisonous. Not meaning you drop dead immediately.

From a trustworthy site;
Agricultural genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are plants obtained by gene transfer or more recently by gene-editing. Their major common phenotypic trait for which 99% have been modified is that these are designed to be grown with pesticides, which may bioaccumulate in the plants and/or the consumer, and/or express insecticides in their cells.
Examples of both types are Roundup-tolerant soy and corn and Bt insecticidal plants…

Read more…
https://enveurope.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s12302-020-0296-8

Back
Top Bottom