I may have a problem.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sylviaanne, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I have a mixed breed rooster courting a Chinese goose. Should I worry about him?

I have a total of 10 geese out there but one is sitting on a nest. The other 8 just stood around looking on like, "Go for it bud and see what happens!"

The rooster doesn't seem worried and the goose just held her head up and acted like she didn't know he was there. He's bigger than his dad, a Welsummer but still about half her size.

I don't want him infringing on goose business and getting hurt, should I worry?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He may get his butt kicked eventually, but it's far less serious a situation than a gander or drake breeding a chicken hen.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Maybe. The goose might decide to be aggressive towards him, but I wouldn't worry about him hurting the goose.

I had a very large EE rooster that had a serious crush on one of my turkey hens. He would attempt to mate her, and she'd let him! She didn't seem to mind, but her turkey boyfriend wasn't impressed. His affections resulted in quite a few chicken yard brawls, but no one was ever hurt because of them.

I think as long as you've got plenty of space for him to get away if something happened, it shouldn't be a problem. When I had geese, they kind of stayed to themselves and the chickens ignored them. If yours don't have aggressive tendencies, I would just let the whole ordeal run its course.

Good luck!

4. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Thank you. I haven't seen him try to mount her, just dancing for her and trying to herd her around. The other geese don't seem to have much to say about it right now. We just enlarged the run so he has plenty of space to run and some spots to hide in if he needs to. We had to pen up the geese as they were getting closer and closer to the freeway. The ducks and guineas were following them and my heart would just break if I came home and found any of my birds hit by a car. The geese sure are unhappy about being penned up but they are a little happier since we enlarged the run.

5. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Thank you. I am a bit worried about him because those geese can pack a wallop. One of them gave me a good whack on the head when I was carrying it. It was an accident, it didn't mean to whack me but it hurt really badly anyways. LOL

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've taken a few good wing slaps from geese and turkeys, it DOES hurt! Especially when they whack you right across the face and those feathers can be sharp! Definitely feel your pain on that one! I sported a black eye for a while after a well placed turkey slap, you should've seen the looks i got when I explained that whole situation :oops:

1 person likes this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

8. Sylviaanne

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I wasn't worried about the internal stuff, I don't think it would get that far. LOL I was just afraid she or one of the others protecting her might hurt him. He has at least temporarily stopped courting her. I didn't see anything happen, maybe he just got tired of her ignoring him and not stooping. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by