I may lose a chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rnmommy7, Dec 14, 2012.

1. rnmommy7

rnmommy7 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    he is weak looking and cant stand up. sort of falls over backward. is there anything I can do? I gave him sugar water.

2. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    When I got my 4 chicks, one was much more chirpy than the rest. At first I thought, oh no I got a rowdy chick. Then I noticed it kept wanting to snuggle with the others. Then it started appearing weak after 2 days. Someone told me to try cilantro as a natural detox herb. Well, I fed it to all the chicks just in case what the little java had was contagious. I didn't normally hold the baby chicks but I held the little Java near my heart to keep it from chirping so much. It did quiet down. However, It ended up dying the next day. The other 3 are healthy buggers and continue to get cilantro whenever I think about picking some up. Mine love it. I hope you have a happier ending with your little one:>

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Try cooking an egg yolk for it. Maybe some sav-a-chick or pediolyte asap. Make sure it's not too hot also.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Pedialite perked my 2 silkie chicks I got as replacements for one that died after a week. Now they are doing great. 2 drops on side of beak twice a day for 3-5 days. Hope this helps.

5. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    can she keep her eyes open if she cant this can be cocci disease you should isolate her immediatly then get the medication from you vet straight away my chicks had this before an they kept falling backwards at first also keep her away from and chickens as well! :eek:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by