I may need to Fire my chickens !!!

tri-5-ron

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Orange County
They KNOW they have a job to do,
Yet they apparently don't feel they need to do it!

I've read all over this forum, and the general concensus seems to be, they should start laying around 20 weeks.

WELL !!! ... IT"S BEEN 20 WEEKS, 3 DAYS, AND 12 HOURS,.... AND STILL NO EGGS !!!
they OBVIOUSLY have not been reading the same threads as I have !

If they don't step up to the plate soon they are all going to be FIRED !!!

I belive there is an old saying. I think it goes...

" Sit or Get off the Pot"!?!?!?

lol.png
tongue.png
wink.png

Last edited:
I have some that are about 15 wks give or take now and I am inspecting their combs daily.... and waiting impatiently.

On the other hand I have 6 hens that lay and some of them need to be fired too! One day I get 4 eggs.... the next none! I have one hen that is really outdoing herself.... she deserved like a chicken palace for the number of eggs she lays! Unfortunately she is getting broody on me.

i was so excited to get my first two eggs (ever!, i'm a newbie) on monday and tuesday!

and i have been so disappointed since then that they haven't given me any more eggs!

why not? is it the heat? is it normal for hen to start slow? i suspect that the two eggs came from different pullets, but i am not sure. the eggs were slightly different shades, does that mean i have two young ladies who have laid their first eggs but are now holding out on me?

With my first group of birds (all different breeds, mind you), the earliest egg came at about 6 months. Two other hens started a few weeks after that, I suspect only because they wanted the street cred the first girl was enjoying. My crevecoeur, however, was almost A YEAR OLD before she laid her first egg, and that was only a week or so after the alpha hen at the time passed away quite suddenly. My vet thinks the crevecoeur was just too stressed out from being picked on by the top bird, and when the threat disappeared, she got down to business.

Be patient. They'll get there.

Back
Top Bottom