I meesed up my hen's comb right before show. Will it get back to norm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by arianna, Mar 5, 2011.

1. arianna

arianna Songster

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    I had two hens this morning in the Morganton, NC show (for the first time in a show), and last night, of course, I prepared and cleaned the two hens for the show (one Buff Brahma hen, and one Silver Lace Cochin Bantam). Since I have the red dirt in my yard, and my hens free range often, any white feathers on my chickens are red, so it took a lot of scrubbing to get those white feathers white again on the Silver Lace hen. I even used a toothbrush on the head to clean the feathers around the comb (that‘s right….a toothbrush [​IMG]). I tried to protect the comb with my fingers, but I think all that scrubbing around it and every now and then touch the comb, and irritated so much that when I was done with the hen, the comb was not standing up anymore.
    This morning I took the hen to the show, like that, but I was disappointed, and quite upset with myself, since I had some hopes for her. Now I wonder, will her comb get back to normal? or will it stay like this? [​IMG]

This was Flufy before last night wash (her comb was perfect): [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this was Flufy this morning: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    It will not hurt her performance in the show at all, believe me.

3. arenea74

arenea74 Songster

Feb 12, 2011
    Wow! she is pretty! Good luck! [​IMG]

4. chickpeaz

chickpeaz Songster

May 26, 2009
    Central PA
    When will you know the show results? Please share -- I'd love to know how she did! [​IMG]

5. arianna

arianna Songster

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    She received the Best Variety nomination, but nothing more. [​IMG] Well, it didn’t hurt to try. [​IMG]
    For me, she is the most beautiful cochin in the world. [​IMG] It was so funny to watch her looking around, entertained by all those people and chickens. She has never been on a trip before, or anywhere outside my yard, and I have her since day old, so it was something different for her as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: