I Messed Up Collecting Eggs! Sound Coming From Dumpster...

Morrgin

Chirping
Dec 7, 2020
This morning I collected eggs. A few were really dirty and I didn't feel like cleaning them so I put them in the dumpster. About an hour later I hear sounds like a baby bird peeping from the dumpster. I carefully take all the garbage out. I can hear it a little bit every now and then. I get a flashlight and look down and in the sides of the trash in the dumpster. I look through the bags carefully but don't hear or see anything anymore. I figure I must be hearing other birds in the area and the acoustics of where the dumpster is carrys the sound there. The rest of the day goes by. The sun has set. I'm on the back porch and hear it again! This time its much louder. My daughter comes out and she thinks she hears it too. Then it stops. We wonder if the sound is coming from the roof gutter. Then we hear it again. I pull all the garbage out and follow the sound to narrow it down to one garbage bag. Then a little chick rolls out! How on earth did I get the wrong eggs?!!! How did it survive? How do I take care of this little wet looking thing? We wrapped it up in a sweater. Got it to take a drink of water. Now we are setting up the heat lamp. I shoved the other eggs I had thrown away back under a broody hen. (I swear I heard more noises coming from the other eggs.) I feel horrible. I hope it survives.

It doesn't look very lively, but it is very noisy.

Attachments

• 20210418_205052.jpg
    20210418_205052.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 13
I’m so sorry this happened it happened to me once when I was cleaning out eggs too unfortunately it was too early for it to survive but this chick looks like it is developed enough to possibly pull through! And if you don’t mind could you post a picture of Under it’s vent area

Poor little bean! But I think noisy is a good sign. So glad you checked again. What a lucky little baby that you were able to find it. Just get it warm for now. Might not be quite ready to eat yet. Hopefully some of those other eggs will hatch, too, and this one will have some siblings to keep it company :love .
One of the eggs I put under a hen hatched last night!

Back
Top Bottom