I might have solved my rat issue with......

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickensioux, Jun 30, 2010.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    pure peppermint oil. I read online that rats hate it. I went to GNC purchased a small bottle for 5-6 dollars. Put it on cottonballs and placed them down into the rat's holes. That was 2 weeks ago and I have not seen ANY indication that they are coming around. I was seeing little feet prints in the mud, poo, etc. now nothing. I would also occasionally cover their holes and they immediately would dig them out again.......nothing! Hopefully that did it and safely for my ducks.

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I wonder if that works on mice! There are a jillion where I am keeping my chickens right now, and I really resent feeding them, and seeing them run around in broad daylight, right underfoot. It is a plague there but the place owner doesn't want me to put down poison. I am afraid to poison because there are so many mice, if they died, my birds would eat them and all die too I think. I just keep buying a LOAD of feed, and am looking for a new place to keep my birds.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:It's worth a try. It was a cheap fix for me.

4. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    WOW!!!!! Awesome solution! [​IMG]

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:It reportedly does work on mice. Birds can be sensitive to certain scents, even ones we find appealing, so until/unless confirmed to be okay for chickens, I would just put the peppermint oil cotton balls a distance from where the birds hunker down for the night, such that you don't smell it in that area.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by