I missed it!!

banditgin

Songster
12 Years
Jul 16, 2007
Boonsboro, MD
I missed my first egg!! As I was switching around cars this morning (I took my husband's truck in), I noticed 3 of our 4 birds hanging around the driveway and by this wooden crate (I can't remember what its called but the things that places put merchandise on and lift with a forklift) but under the crate thingy was the 4th chicken - my silkie hen. She didn't move when I tried to pet her (though she is friendly and will let me pick her up she usually does put up some kind of resistance first). I told my DH when I went in to get the kids that he might want to check under there for eggs. and sure enough there were 3 eggs!! I have no idea when she layed the first one.

This leads me to a question. Now that the coop is ready for the chickens, how do I get her to lay in the coop/nesting boxes? I wasn't too worried about this before when I didn't think we were getting eggs but I don't want to have to search everywhere I've seen the chickens for eggs. i wonder if there are others we don't know about.

Last edited:
You will probably need to keep her up with the nesting box to get her to lay there.

Move the eggs she already laid where you want her to lay the next ones and then keep her up. She'll get the idea.

Are you going to let her hatch them???

probably won't let her hatch them right now. maybe in the spring.

I have another question: what part of the day do the hens normally lay their eggs?

Back
Top Bottom