I Need A Buyer!!!!!!!!!!

mrbstephens

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Long Island, New York
Hello everyone!
frow.gif
My DH and I are getting ready to make an offer on a 3 acre parcel where we would build a modest sized home. Finances will be tight and my DH is the money maker so I can stay home with the children. I'm wondering what would be the best, fastest and easiest way to make money off the land. We've considered clearing half of it and renting it to a farmer or for someone with horses perhaps? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Boarding horses brings added liability insurance that can be quite expensive. Horse owners usually want a nice barn too.
Farm fresh veggies? Kind of late to start planting most crops though.

Never heard of cow/goat leases.
Your 3 acres would be grazed to nothing pretty quick with cattle though. I wouldn't put more than 2 or 3 on 3 acres and would still have to suplement with hay and grain.

Having that small of an acreage is going to be tough as far as livestock are concearned due to the large amounts of forage that animals consume. Overgrazing would be a huge problem so I can't see that as being a option.
It would not yiels a great deal of hay either so that would be out of the question due to the high original investment in planting, feritizer and equipment, etc.
It would be next spring before you could lease it to a farmer to raise crops but I think that might be your best bet.

How about raising rabbits or quail? Or a petting zoo? I'd really like to offer workshops on small homesteading/self sufficiency. I know how to can and grow produce organically.......and raise chickens!

Would it be in the same area you are now? Because you mentioned it is wooded, I would offer depending on the type of wood, you may be able to be paid to let someone clear it that can resell the wood. What is the terrain? Is there a need for land lease for people to park RV vehicles, boats and such when not in use?

Quote:
The land is level and perfect for growing produce on. The trees are maples and walnuts. Good idea about the sale of the wood! Hmmm, parking boats might be an option! The beach is at the end of the road......the Long Island Sound!

Clear the trees cut and split and sell as fire wood!
once its cleared grow a low maintenance crop - the pumpkins are a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom